the Pope and the pedophile, thoughts

Germany's sex abuse scandal has now reached Pope Benedict XVI: His former archdiocese acknowledged it transferred a suspected pedophile priest while Benedict was in charge and criticism is mounting over a 2001 Vatican directive he penned instructing bishops to keep abuse cases secret.

The revelations have put the spotlight on Benedict's handling of abuse claims both when he was archbishop of Munich from 1977-1982 and then the prefect of the Vatican office that deals with such crimes — a position he held until his 2005 election as pope.

Benedict got a firsthand readout of the scope of the scandal Friday in his native land from the head of the German Bishop's Conference, Archbishop Robert Zollitsch, who reported that the pontiff had expressed "great dismay and deep shock" over the scandal, but encouraged bishops to continue searching for the truth.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Protect the church over innocent children, are you kidding me? That's manipulation and exploitation of innocents- corruption and misuse of power!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:19 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Hours later, the Munich archdiocese admitted that it had allowed a priest suspected of having abused a child to return to pastoral work in the 1980s, while Benedict was archbishop. It stressed that the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger didn't know about the transfer and that it had been decided by a lower-ranking official.

The archdiocese said there were no accusations against the chaplain, identified only as H., during his 1980-1982 spell in Munich, where he underwent therapy for suspected "sexual relations with boys." But he then moved to nearby Grafing, where he was suspended in early 1985 following new accusations of sexual abuse. The following year, he was convicted of sexually abusing minors.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100312/ap_on_re_eu/eu_church_abuse
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• This is how they operate, their pedophiles get transfered not charged.

Answer by older at 7:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• my thoughts are that that is sad and sick, they must think because they are religious that they only must answer to go and that all is forgiven. I think that society must hold them accountable for their actions and treat those who would just transfer a pedophile just like those who know about a family member and allow it to happen,, passive sexual abuse they call it.. i think they all should go to jail.. well i think worse things should happen to pedophiles , but thats for another post...
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 7:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Sick fuckers! I hope they rot in Hell.... The very place they proclaim they will never go! yeah right.... you touch little boys and the devil will do same to you!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• The whole transferring and "hiding" of pedophile priests was the final straw that turned me away from the Catholic Church!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• The whole transferring and "hiding" of pedophile priests was the final straw that turned me away from the Catholic Church

something we can agree on! lol

It isn't that I think all priests are this way, but the system in place that protected those monsters....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

Add my husband and myself to the list. The act is 1 thing-the covering up (by leaders/authorities) takes it to another level.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Being a priest, not wanting marriage....what a convenient place to be if you are attracted to young men. It is swept under the rug because so many enter the Priesthood for that very reason: Escape from a normal heterosexual life and the opportunity to find young boys.
    Anonymous

• I do not agree with this from the Vatican. But I also think birth control is GREAT and LOVE my lesbian family members. There are pedophiles everywhere and as many on HERE have pointed out to me MANY times when they think I shelter my kids too much, that kids are more likely to be molested by family members then strangers. I am still a member of the Catholic church but we dont go all the time. I have not attended MY church when there was a priest that gave me the eebbie geebies. Then he left and I like the new priest. :) Catholic charities do a great deal for a great deal of people and to paint ALL priests and the entire religion with the same brush is pretty crappy. AND to say that because the priesthood is celibate THAT is WHY........that makes NO sense....then why are the REST of molesters molesters huh? Good Grief.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2010