Can you get a loan to adopt a child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Adoption

• We adopted our 6 year old from foster care (she was 3 btw when she came to our home) and it cost us $40 for a new birth certificate, we get medicaid on her and they give us a monthly subsidy.

We are adopting 2 girls from Russia and it cost $75,000. We do not have that laying around, but these girls still deserve a family. We went through lifesong for orphans. We had a company sponsor almost the whole thing. They also have matching funds, grants, no interst loans.

Google adoption funding and you will find a lot of options.
    home-sweet-home

Answer by home-sweet-home at 9:00 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Really not trying to be rude. but if you need a loan to adopt, then you shouldn't adopt at all.
    Anonymous

• Well I do have the money to support a child and have 2 children of my own that are well taken care of. I just dont have a whole lumpsum of cash to pay for it. Do you pay over time for adoption or do you pay it all at once?
    Anonymous

• If you have to say, I'm not trying to be rude, you should not give your opinion. Adoption from isn't cheap and can cost from 20,000 to over 40,000. As for the question,  yes you can get a loan, actually it isn't really hard if you have good credit. Also try apply for grants,there are a ton of them out there and if you can even get one it is more than worth the time.

Anonymous

• My adoption only cost me $10 for a new birth certificate.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Other anon, this is a public forum no? Yeah, thanks.
    Anonymous

• What is the ultimate irony on here is how a homeless pregnant teen with no job and no education is told that money is not important and all you need is love.

Yet if an adoptive parent doesnt have $20-$40,000 in the bank BEFORE they even begin to start their family, they are seen too poor to raise a child.

Anonymous

• Not sure on the loan, but do know that it is paid out over time. It's NOT lump sum. Most of the fees are pay-as-you-go, and when we checked into domestic infant adoption, even the 12,000 or whatever it was could be paid in $500 per month increments (until you were placed, then the balance due). Most people who adopt start out thinking that adoption will take 4-9 months. That is NOT the case MOST of the time. Sometimes you can have an adoption within a year, but most of the time, it takes 2-4 years from the time you begin the process until you take a child home. Point being that you would have plenty of time to pay it out. The problem with getting the loan is that now besides taking care of 3 kids, you have an additional payment on top of that. I'd do everything in my power to NOT get a loan.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• anon:29 That is from all the crap told to pregnant women .Their child deserves more,that APs will be able to give so much blah blah Have to remember what came first and now PAPs are held to the same standard as birthmoms

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Why is it that its ok for people to raise money to adopt but if you are pregnant & need money you are told it would be better if you gave the child up to adoptive parents? Irony here?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Mar. 13, 2010