Why MORE vaccines?

- If you where born in the 80s would you say we where mostly healthy kids & grew up healthy? ----- Then why has our vaccine scheduled double?
- Just because we can come up with a vaccine, Should we give it to our kids?
- Do you get your Booster Shots?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I was born in the 60's and I know a number of people who had autism. Don't any of you remember the book about Raun? I think it was called Sunrise. I get my boosters and make sure my kids get them. I get my kids the new vaccines because I want to protect them. If I can protect my daughter against cervical cancer, I will. I know someone who died from meningitis when I was in college. You bet I'm going to protect my kids from that. When you refuse to vaccine you expose infants who are too young for vaccines to dangerous illnesses. Read up about polio and small pox. Do you really want those diseases to make a come back. So many people are refusing the vaccine for Whopping Cough there is a huge resurgence of the disease. These things can kill your children.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I think its all about kids missing school and parents missing work to care for kids with measles/mumps/chicken pox. No,I don't get my boosters although I'm 5 yrs overdue for my tetanus! oops!
    Anonymous

• I think it's all about the drug companies making more money.
    Anonymous

• Because those of us who grew up in the 80's went to college and there where widespread outbreaks of measles. That is why they do boosters now.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i was born in the 60's and i think i had fewer vaccines than those born in the 80's. i don't get boosters, and i don't vaccinate my children. i think the vaccines ultimately make people sicker and weaker.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• anon 10:11.... GREAT POINT! But to add a lil thought to that, could all our new problems in our kids ALSO have to do with the junk added to our food (fruits/veggies/meats/ect) and all the bad stuff we put in our air, clean our house with... even the clothes babies wear now days are "fire resistant!" ...
    (OP by the way)

When these questions come around ---- where are the people who love vaccines? They love to attack those ANTI- Vaccines. and the post about "vaccines caused my child autism"... yet simple questions like this they "ignore".....
    Anonymous

• More money for the pharmaceutical companies.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• The vaccines today are not the same as those I recevied back in the 60's - they're "smarter". So while my kids receive more vaccines they actually receive less antigesn (things your immuse system reacts to) then I did.  No we don't have to vaccinate against everything, but, wen're not even close to doing that now.  The vaccine schedule represents a miniscule exposure to antigens and organims compared to what people encounter as part of life. Worrying about the exposure from the vaccine schedule is like worrying about a thimble of water getting you wet when you are swimming in an ocean.  And yes I get my boosters.  A helpful article that goes through the numbers: The Infection Schedule vs the Vaccination Schedule

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I was born in the 60's and I have High Functioning Autism, but it wasn't diagnosed as autism back then - I was just considered slow & weird. My IQ is probably higher than yours, but because of my undiagnosed autism, I struggled through school and was a social pariah. I have known others within my age group who are like me & many of them self-medicated w/alcohol &/or drugs b/c nobody understood them. They didn't understand themselves either. Some have floated through life with no direction because they can't fit in to the "real" world, others have turned to drugs &/or alcohol to try to cope. Some of us have managed to get & keep jobs, but we have few friends, if any, and generally keep to ourselves.

We DO exisit, but we were and are brushed aside, ignored or hidden away.
    Anonymous

• Ok first off, there are more vaccines now because we try and protect the babies from the diseases that can kill them. I was born in 87 and realize my kids get more vaccines because it is about trying to protect them and other children they are around.

As for the autism thing, like another PP said, it was diagnosed as autism. These people were labeled as mentally retarded and shipped off to residential homes most of the time. Autism wasn't diagnosed until the 70s and even then it wasn't as it should be. It is only now that doctors are being trained about it and it is being learned about do we actually diagnose everyone who has it and actually diagnose it correctly. Then again, even with me being born in 87, I got a misdiagnosis.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2010