Should child support payments to the custodial parent be reduced if the man has more children with a different woman?

There was an interesting argument over in the Newcomer's Club group, and I'd like to get other's opinion on it.

If a man divorces a woman, leaving her as the custodial parent to let's say 2 kids, and he is ordered to pay $300 per child. If the man gets remarried and has another child, should the support be evenly distributed among the THREE kids? What I mean is, should the support for the two older kids be reduced to $150 per child, because now he has a new child with his new wife to support?

I think that's BULL. The man is responsible for the two children he already has. If he chooses to have another child, the two previous children should still receive the same amount of child support. It's not their fault that Daddy now has a third child to support.

What do YOU think? Should child support payments be reduced if the man has more children with a different woman?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• No. He should consider his financial responsibilities to his other children before creating another. I have 2 kids. I would consider whether or not my boyfriend and I could afford to take care of a 3rd child (the two I have are not biologically his) before getting pregnant. My ex (if he were actually paying) should have to do the same. If he chooses to have another child, then he also chooses to work as many jobs as needed in order to pay for them all without shortchanging my kids.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• for dh who pays for other kids from previous relationship, yes. for the ex, no! ha ha!

im totally kidding. honestly, i dont know. i can see both sides of it, and i dont think its fair, no matter which way you turn. carry on

Anonymous

• Um no. If he can't afford that other kid with the current payments than he should make another baby.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• No I don't think its fair
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• more then likely what happened here... was his expenses increased therefore how much child support he has to pay decreased. Its based off of how much you make and is going to bill..ex. The man has to make a living for himself as well for his new child and wife. Life happens and its not all about money.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Thats a good question...
    I guess there could be points made at each point of view.
    I just don't have a good one sided answer,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I can tell you that it does not work that way. If a person is expected to pay child support he has to pay that amount, no matter what, unless a judge agrees to change how much he has to pay. Now, I am not so sure about this. I think that he should definitely have to pay for the children, but, at the same time, it is hard for him to take care of the new child that he has and the other children. I think that as long as he has paid as was stated by the court, I think that the court should work with him and find a way for him to pay less money.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I think the first kids should come first, and then the babies after that, simply due to the fact that I have seen so many people with older half siblings whose bio mom was with the father, get everything, and the kids from the divorced dad have nothing.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2010