Did you hear about the baby sling risk?

After a spate of infant suffocation deaths, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is warning parents to think twice before putting infants under 4 months of age into baby slings.

The CPSC is conducting a full investigation of the once-again-trendy baby carriers. There's been no recall, but CPSC head Inez Tenenbaum said earlier this week that a warning was coming.

Now it's here. The warning comes on the heels of three infant deaths in 2009 and at least 14 deaths over the past two decades. Twelve of the infants were less than 4 months old.

Babies under 4 months of age have weak neck muscles and can't control their heads. If the sling fabric blocks the child's nose and mouth, it can suffocate the child in just one or two minutes.

Perhaps more horribly, if the sling holds the child in a curled position with its chin bent toward its chest, the child has difficulty breathing and suffocates slowly

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, this is about bag-type slings. Babies are meant to be close to momma, NOT in a purse like a yorkshire terrier.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 10:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I don't like slings. I don't like it when mother's "wear" their babies. You don't wear a kid, you hold one. Stop being lazy and hold the baby.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• How horrible! I guess it's good to get the word out, but jeez, sweet, what a downer!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• There's data missing here, sweet...since putting babies in slings goes back to the cave man days. Any info on whether it's a particular brand? I remember there were problems with the Infantino.

And Sara, it ain't lazy if the sling lets you go about your business and tend to your other children at the same time. If you don't "get" it, please LEARN first and comment later. Babywearing moms tend to be LESS lazy, really.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I understand it perfectly fine. You wear a shirt not a baby.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

I know sorry. I dont believe in a ban on slings but wanted to pass on the word since I read it. I never used a sling but if I had a newborn and read this I wouldnt use it until they were older

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/20100312/infant-deaths-spur-baby-sling-warning

Here's the CSPC's advice:

• Place the child chin up with its face clearly visible and its nose and mouth free of the fabric.

• Check on the child often.

• If nursing a child in a sling, change the baby's position after feeding so its head is facing up and clear of both the sling and the mother's body.

• Do not allow the sling to cover the baby's face.

• Do not carry the child too low in the sling.

• Do not carry the child hunched with its chin touching its chest.

• Do not carry the baby with its face pressed tight against the wearer of the sling.

If you've had an incident or injury while using a baby sling, the CSPC wants to hear from you at 800-638-2772.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• It's definitely not lazy to use a baby carrier! It's a way to keep them close all the time and of course we still hold our babies, but when we need to do other things as well, instead of putting them down or keeping them in an infant carrier all the time. Anyway, I recommend a front buckle carrier with an infant insert, keeping baby upright. Most slings also recommend making sure your small baby is correctly positioned and having an insert to keep them in the right position. There are all kinds of different carriers: slings, mei tais, wraps, pouches, and buckle carriers. My preference is a buckle carrier- I have an Ergo but Beco and Earth Huggy Baby Carriers are very similar. Moms need to pay attention to safety and make sure they are using their carrier correctly! There is lots of info and blog articles on this site: http://carrymeaway.com/articles.html.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I believe that it comes down to the parents. Babies need to be watched all the time, and dont think it should be blamed on the sling. I saw on the news a women saying how great the slings are, and she used, them with all 3 of her kids. She said she cleans, vaccums, and does everything with the baby in the sling. Personally, i think if you are going to clean and vaccum, you can put the baby down. They dont need to be held 24/7, and i think thats what it comes down to. the parents are holding them too much, and doing every day things while holding them. They just werent paying enough attention and holding them too long. Just a good way to get money out of large companies...I feel sorrow and grief for them for loosing a child, I would not be able to handle it if i lost mine, I just feel like there is nothing wrong with slings, even though ive never used one. I dont think its neccesary. Just sounds more like neglect, on the parent
    MPatterson0607

Answer by MPatterson0607 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Sad news. My first child lived in her snugly- and it allowed me 2 free hands- Multi-tasking at it's finest, and certainly not lazy-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2010