Why is it that on a phone or calculator the number five has a little dot on it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i dunno. my phone doesnt have a dot on the 5 but maybe its so blind people will know which button is in the middle.
    Anonymous

• It's not for blind people. It's for people that are used to using a ten key pad without looking at it. Just like the little bumps that are there on your keyboard on letters f and j.
    Anonymous

• Anon :14, how exactly is a blind person supposed to read the numerical readout on a calculator?
    Anonymous

• i was talking about blind people who text...but i never thought about them recieving a message. ok i see how dumb that is now. forget i said it. lol. it has been a seriously long week.
    Anonymous

• Don't blind people make phone calls too though? They could use the bump too to know which button it is. lol
    Anonymous

• For the same reason the "F" and "J" keys on a keyboard have them - so visually impaired people know where to centralize themselves to type in a phone number or an e-mail.
    Anonymous

• LOL..I told I guy I was hard of hearing and that I watch TV with the Subtitles on..He said so you read brail(sp?) huh? My friends and i laughed for days....
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Y do they put the brail for blind people on the drive up ATM's?
    Anonymous

• They put the brail on the drive up ATM machines because some have caregivers that will take them there, and that way they dont have to give out their PIN :0)
    Colie82

Answer by Colie82 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• They put the bumps on the keyboard and number pad for people who touch type and key. That way we can tell our fingers are in the right spot without looking at the keyboard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Mar. 13, 2010