When Atheists go to court, do they have to swear on the bible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• im not sure. when someone sneezes, do they say bless you? <--not trying to start trouble-a serious question.
    Anonymous

• Sure, prob. doesnt phase them to lie after either...not assuming they would?
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I'm not an Athiest but I didn't have to swear on a bible... the judge said something about being bound to tell the truth under laws of purgery (sp) ... no bible... no raising of the right hand either...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• btw... I am not Christian either and I would have asked not to swear on a bible, a book that has no meaning to me, nor do I believe it should be in the court of law...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Most courtrooms don't ask that anymore. I'm not sure about my town, though. It would not surprise me if they did still. It's like the freaking Dark Ages here sometimes. But as I understand it, there are scriptures that plainly indicate christians should not swear on the handbook ever. And true, it means nothing to us, but we do have principles, you know.

As for the sneeze thing, this atheist thinks acknowledging bodily functions in that manner is both stupid and incredibly annoying. So I say nothing, and prefer that in return. If people insist on doing it, whatever. But I prefer to sneeze without a big hairy deal being made over it, and move on with my life. So that is what others get from me on that...nothing but moving on.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I'm an atheist and I DO say "Bless you." It's a habit I learned young.
    I'm just realizing how hilarious it is to say, even if you're a Christian. I'm pretty sure saying, "God bless you" after someone sneezed is based on a superstition that when you sneeze, your soul is in limbo for a minute, leaving room for the Devil to get in...or something like that.
    Anyway, no one really believes that any more (do they?), so why do we still say it?
    Anonymous

• IF it's a courtroom which still has a bible to swear on, everyone would do the same, but today, most do not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• You have the choice to make an "affirmation" instead of swearing on the bible.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 9:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I respectfully declined @ my divorce hearing.

And BTW- as to what anon said... I always heard "bless you" and thought it was asinine, I actually got in trouble a couple times as a kid for NOT saying it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I don't know. But I'm a Christian and would refuse to swear by the Bible. Matt.5:33-37

[JW mom]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2010