can I eat imitation crab while pregnant

Like in a shrimp tempura roll? Or even by itself...I love imitation crab

mommalou143

Asked by mommalou143 at 8:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• me too!!! I like it better than REAL crab meat....I ate it with Ava and she is perfect. I am preggers now and I eat it. I love sushi too but I know that's a "no-no" while prego..

another 8 months until I get another califonia spring roll...
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2008

• Yep,doctor told me it's safe..
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2008

• yep. its made of fish. the prob with real crab meat (i found out the hard way) is that a bacteria can grow in it that you are more sensitive to when preg. (i dont know why). i dont think it causes abnormalities in the baby, but boy howdy, do i know it can make you sicker than a dog. ate shrimp at 8 months, thought i was in labor, ended up in hospital for 2 days until i got better. shellfish +preg+bad. fake crab+preg=good
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:43 AM on Sep. 20, 2008

• Immitation crab is really the underbelly of the Pollock which is a fish so it is better for you than real crab and comes pasteurized.
    suzannev

Answer by suzannev at 2:36 AM on Sep. 20, 2008

• AvasMommy.....California Rolls are made with Imitation crab...so you can eat those.
    I craved Sushi like crazy when I was preggers. I used to try to fake myself out with veggie rolls.....and I would eat California rolls.
    Wow ..just talking about this is making my mouth water..craving Sushi.....lol...and I'm not even preggers anymore.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 11:28 AM on Sep. 21, 2008

• I miss sushi sooo much. *tear*
    HadleyBellsMom

Answer by HadleyBellsMom at 4:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2008