discipline: what are my options

my dd who is 17months saturday is very good at pushing my buttons and any punishment you try she just sits there and laugh at you...to the point that if i try timeout i wait till she done laughing to start the time... but i cant get her to stop slapping me or telling me know and spankings dont work...occassionally i have resorted to putting her to bed early...what are some other thing i can try to stop the slapping and the constant"NO"...im at a loss and it bothers me...i dont want her to think she can get away with it///

rellcinko

Asked by rellcinko at 8:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1. Redirection. If she is doing something she shouldn't be doing, then direct her to another activity. If she is getting into something she shouldn't, put it away. This type of behavior is normal for kids her age, and should not be punished.

2. If she slaps you, grab her hand and tell her firmly (but not yelling), "No hitting! You touch Mommy nicely!" Then demonstrate how to touch nicely. Touch HER softly, then invite her to touch YOU softly. It may take a zillion times, but she'll eventually get it.

3. You shouldn't be spanking 17 month olds. Their behaviors-although annoying to us-are normal. Tantrums, getting into things, hitting...totally normal.

4. Time out at this age is pointless-a 17 month old can not comprehend what the heck a time out is for. If she is tantruming, have her place her head on the floor with a pillow. Give her a chance to calm herself down.

Anonymous

• is she doing the slapping and telling you no? what is it that she's doing?
    Anonymous

• negative attention is still attention. you would get more of a reaction if you don't pay attention to her when she is not being nice. I use to tell my son when you decide to be a good boy mommy will play, then I would walk away and do some thing else. still watching with a momma eyes but not looking or acknowledging him until he says sorry momma.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• the hitting and telling me no usually are not at the same time... the no is usually in response if shes mad or tired... the hitting idk what triggers it she just randomly does it...she even throws things at the dog occassionally...i personally am not so fond of redirecting because i dont see how this teaches them there not allowed to do it..to me it seems more like your saying it ok but not now... i do walk away at times with tantrums depending on where i am.. i cant just walk away if im in a store or somthing like that... her new thing is grabbing glass things and throwing them to break... i try to keep them away but that usually doesnt work... i havnt tried the sorry thing though...i might try that... and the timeouts i tried actually cuz the dr said to
    rellcinko

Answer by rellcinko at 4:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2010