ring worm??

my 2 yr old dd has what i believe is a ringworm on her bottom. i have been using some medicine that is supposed to treat ringworm for two days, but i havent seen hardly any sign of it clearing up. its not blistered, but it is red and obviously shaped like a circle... should i continue to use the medicine as directed (only twice a day) or at every diaper change? should i put baby powder on her bottom after i put the medicine on? it doesnt look like she is in pain, but she has been waking up every night screaming after she pees in her diaper. (but she is also cutting her 2 yr old molars and is at that stage where she just wants to sleep in bed with mommy and daddy) idk what to do... please help.

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 8:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have to agree with a previous poster... My son had ringworm on his arm last year and it took WEEKS for it to finally completely clear. I had to keep it covered while at school but uncovered at home. After the first day or 2 of treatment it shouldn't be contagious anymore but like I said, it can take several weeks of treatment before it goes away and you need to be sure to put the cream on it until it is gone/cleared up. Expose it to air as much as possible because it is a FUNGAL infection which means it will thrive in a warm, moist, dark place (such as a diaper)
    Anonymous

• If you have wringworm it shouldn't be covered. My sister had it on her arm once and the doctor told my parents not to cover it up. Anyways is going to the doctors a possibility?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Aren't ring worms serious? If it doesn't get better in a day I'd take her to the doctor.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• no ring worm is not serious -its a fungus :) ^^^^

If it is not fading at all I would take her in to the doc to see if it is maybe yeast as opposed to ring worm to be sure you are using the proper meds.
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Use antifungal cream. Both of my kids have had it, as have most of the people in my family and anitfungal cream should get rid of it in 2-3 days. If not I would take her to the doctor. If that is what you are already using maybe try a different brand.GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 8:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• ring worm takes a while to heal and airing it out daily would help that.
    Anonymous

• Use Lotrimin cream, you can buy at the grocery store. You can let it "air dry" but that wont do much.. Keeping it covered will help prevent it from spreading. Wash you hands after messing with it or you will get it also.. Put the cream on twice a day, and it will not go away in a day. It will fade and begin to dry up but continue to put the cream on until you no longer see anything.. It can take up to 4 weeks for it to go away but most clear up before then..

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Ringworm can take a month to heal with regular treatment. I've NEVER seen it clear up in 2-3 days, and I've treated a lot of it. (We used to breed cats, and kittens are prone to it.) I've had it, my kids have had it.... Give it more time.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Ringworm does not go away overnight, even with prescription treatments. It can take a good couple weeks for the rash to fade away, and even longer for it to stay away once you stop using the cream. Keep it up, it does take time. My son had a big patch on his eyebrow once, and it took weeks to heal, and then more weeks for the hairs of his eyebrow to grow back in. Poor kid! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• cut out all sugar, keep it dry and in the like. Tea Tree oil will help.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2010