Do any of you make your own fresh popcorn? Do I need special equipment?

I'm going to stop buying store popcorn and make my own for better taste and health. What do I need?

Yeah I can google it but where's the fun in that?

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 8:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can simply put the kernels in a brown paper lunch sack and put it in the microwave like you would the store bought stuff. Set it for 4 minutes and listen. When you can count to 5 between kernels popping you stop it. This avoids the extra oil from the other methods suggested.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:35 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• you just need a heavy pot with a lid and oil.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• heavy pot with a lid, oil, popcorn, and salt.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I use nutritional yeast to flavor it instead of covering it in butter. It's kinda cheesy buttery tasting and a powder. People think I made homemade cheddar popcorn. It's low in fat and high in B vitamins.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• We use a Stir Crazy popper - $25 from Wal-Mart and totally worth it. We use very little oil and we love it. It makes 6 quarts of popcorn at once and our family goes through 2 batches in one sitting (4 kids, 2 adults). We put a little bit of popcorn salt on it while it's hot and that is it. So good!
    Anonymous

• I used to make it in college. I didn't have a heavy pot but it was like a T-Fal. I'd cover the bottom with oil and then heat it on high. After a few minutes I'd put in three kernels of popcorn. When they popped, I knew the oil was ready and I'd pour in the rest. Be a little conservative with how much you put in...I remember popping the lid with overflowing popped corn!
    Kajon

Answer by Kajon at 10:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I bought a Presto Power Pop and love it. It makes microwavable popcorn in just a few minutes using regular popcorn and no oil at all. It takes about 2 1/2 minutes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I have a glass popper for the microwave. It makes awsome popcorn, without any oil. I melt butter and sprinkle cayenne and parmesan

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I'll have to try the brown paper bag method. I've never heard of that before. It sounds good.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 2:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I have a nice pot that has a steam vent. I always use this pot, since it's easier. I have a hot air popper but I do love using corn popped in canola oil better. It does have more flavor and then I don't feel the need to add butter. I just barely coat the bottom of the pot with oil. Turn heat to medium. Heat until the oil shimmers. Drop in one kernel. When it pops, add enough kernels to cover the bottom of the pot in a single layer. Cover with a lid, leave lid ajar to allow steam to escape (keeps it from getting wet and soggy). When popping stops, remove lid. Pour into a bowl with a lid. Add some super fine salt, put on the lid, shake to coat. Check for flavor, repeat with more salt if necessary. I always have my oven preheated to 300. After the popcorn is done, I always bake it for about 10 minutes to get it nice and crispy. Baking it keeps it crispy longer! I don't even need butter! Yum!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2010