Paranoid??

My DD is 21 months, she has an egg allergy, and she is at day care (which i work at). Today for lunch they were serving egg omelets, I asked that she sit in a high chair in the infant room and have what they make for her.... usually chicken nuggets. So they put her in there for lunch and everything went fine... no complaints there...
I was talking to my mom tonight and told her that we had omelets for lunch and i had her go to the infant room...... she told me that im being to paranoid! really, i dont think i should take an allergy that lightly, right? she never had a severe reaction, just vomited from them.... but I would hate for it to be worse the "next" time she were to have them....

LizaJayne

Asked by LizaJayne at 9:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i agree with you.
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 9:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I think it would be stressful to have to trust others to do certain things for my kids like that, so if asking her to be in another room gives you the peace of mind you need, I don't see the harm. Maybe it isn't truly necessary but it isn't going to hurt anyone. Still, its important that she learn what she can't have now, so there is something to be said for her being around it and learning to turn it down under supervision..
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I also agree! You did the right thing! I myself am allgeric to peanuts... they make my throat swell and it's not so easy to swallow, milk makes me gag but I still stay away! It's VERY uncomfortable and I really think you made the right choice! I am also allergic to turkey, the last thing I remember from eating it was waking up on the kitchen floor. I was able to eat it the year prior so you never know with a reaction! Good Job mama!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I don't see how you are being paranoid. Your child has an allergy...and even though its not like her throat is swelling shut or something like that, you obviously don't want her to get sick! By removing your child from the room where other children were going to be eating eggs, you are doing everything you can to avoid her being fed, or getting a hold of egg. I don't know how that is being paranoid.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I think your reaction is reasonable. Food allergies can be scary because the first reaction could be vomiting but the second or subsequent reactions might be worse or life threatening. I would make sure that every one knows that she is egg allergic and then maybe you can relax a bit.

It will get easier as she gets older, understands more and can verbalize things like "I cannot eat that because I'm allergic." When my kids started in kinder in was remarkable how quickly they learned each other's illnesses (asthma, alopecia, epilepsy) and allergies and all helped each other so no one got ill.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I am more concerned about her eating chicken nuggets; they are generally a junkfood and should be an occasional treat.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 AM on Mar. 13, 2010