Blocked milk duct?

I have been unable to nurse my 3 week old son, so I've been pumping on average about every 3 to 4 hours. Since I started, my right breast produces more milk than my left. My milk supply was starting to go down so I started pumping more often yesterday. I increased my son from 3 to 31/2 ounces so last night he went 5 hours without eating, meaning I went 5 hours without pumping. This morning I woke up to a very sore right breast. I pumped for 30 minutes only getting about 3 ounces (from both breasts, my right producing less than normal.) I pumped about 3 hours later and got about 9 ounces. Again, 3 hours later, after pumping 30 minutes, I only got 4 ounces. I just finished pumping for an hour and only got about 5 ounces. My breast is still sore and still feels somewhat full. Could this be a blocked milk duct? If so, what can I do to remedy it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i had a problem with a blocked duct but i didnt find out that way you did.. i went for my 6 week check up after i had my DS and the doc did a breast exam and found a lump.. he said it was a blocked duct.. so he took a needel shoved it in there and relased the milk.. it felt so much better after that.. you can try warm washcloths...or see your doc.
    Anonymous

• If you plan on EPing, you should think of joining the group on CM. They'll have advice for you. I do know that you should be pumping every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night. A pump is not nearly as efficient as drawing the milk out as baby is, so to keep supply up you'll need to pump MORE than baby would nurse. Good luck, momma! Oh, and NORMAL pump out put is 1/2 to 2 oz TOTAL for both breasts. You're doing great getting 3+oz now.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 10:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2010