Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to force a man into a sleep study?

How do you force a man of 61 to go get a sleep study done so he can be formally diagnosed with apnea, get a CPAP and live for longer?

We've (my family) have known it's apnea for years now (we can hear him snore and then stop breathing for a good amount of time, sometimes until my mom nudges him), and we just can't convince him he needs to go in for a study. I love my dad and want him to stick around for a good while longer, but I know that the apnea is taking away from his life expectancy.

I told my mom that we could try to borrow some cuffs and leg irons from the cops to drag him in, but obviously that wouldn't really work. So what can we do to get him to understand just how bad it really is?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Health

Answers (9)
  • My husband has sleep apnea too. I know he does because I hear it and my family has a history so I know sleep apnea. We got an order twice for a sleep study and both times he couldn't sleep well enough for them to get a result. It cost us $1500 twice, for nothing.

    Answer by BlooBird at 10:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

  • So what is his complaint about the sleep study? It's the best rest I've ever gotten Tell him it's like a vacation from family! He can even do what is called an Autopap (AT HOME). Give him the facts on what sleep apnea does to his organs and can kill him. If all else fails tell mom to offer him sex if he goes! lol

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

  • BlooBird, my dad's insurance would cover almost the entire cost, so that isn't an issue for it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

  • What happened with our insurance was that the doctor who ordered it was on our plan, the center that did it was on our plan, but the center sends the results to another doctor to read in another state. How screwed up is that? So our insurance refused to pay because it was read and billed out of state. I will look into that Autopap though. I know this is dangerous and my husband does want help, we just feel like the doctors are dropping the ball.

    Answer by BlooBird at 11:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

  • Your mom should say this to your dad: I am taking out a big life insurance policy on you; please die soon so I will be young enough to find someone to share the money with me.

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:16 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • Tape record him sleeping. Let him here himself stop breathing. Maybe it will scare him into getting it done

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:07 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • Tell him HE COULD DIE. My husband has SA too. Yes, it's a PITA, but not getting treatment could kill him. It also leads to other things, such as high blood pressure, which could also kill him.

    Answer by AMom29 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • Use the grandkids. That's how I get my dad to do stuff. Also, mom tried to take out a life insurance policy on him recently and he had to get some numbers down to have a lower premium. Financial manipulation or grandchild manipulation. Talking sense to him is not going to work.

    Your poor mom! She needs sleep too!

    Answer by ecodani at 10:06 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • You can't. His life is his own, to preserve, or not to. He's not going to do it unless HE wants to do it. You can keep talking to him about it, but that's about it.

    Answer by BaisMom at 11:40 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.