milk

My daughter just turned 1 on the 25th. She got RSV and an ear infection shortly after turning one, as we were trying to get her on milk and off formula. Well she stopped eating and drinking anything. I had to put her back on the bottles and formula just get fluid and nutrients down her. She was not transitioning well to milk prior to being sick and now she wants nothing to do with it. She is lactose intolerent like me and I have been trying lactose free whole milk and she just shoves it away from. I have also tried the next step formula with reduced lactose and she shoves it away as well. Any pointers to try to help get her off formula would be helpful. Thanks.

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 10:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried to mix the formula and milk together so the taste isn't such a shock? I would start with mostly formula for a week, then slowly less formula and more milk. You could also try something like almond or rice milk. My youngest was dairy intolerant and loved a nice sippy of vanilla rice milk.

How is she with things like yogurt and cheese? My oldest 2 kids never took to plain milk until they were older, like 3 or 4. If they wanted milk, they wanted the boob, not something from that cup thing. The doc didn't worry because they would eat dairy products like they were going out of style.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• She is a lot like me. I am lactose intolerant and can handle some dairy as in cheese, or low fat yogurt. Give us too much and we have problems. If I give her something made with whole milk like whole milk yougurt, we have problems also. We have tried transitioning by doing 5 oz formula and 1 oz milk but she wised up to that with the first sip. I think I may look into the rice milk. thanks.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Just give her water to drink. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 5:13 AM on Mar. 13, 2010