Good, cheap sling?

I have one of the infamous infantino bag sling. After watching the news today I am terrified of it. It does wrap DS into a ball like they said. So what sling is safe, easy to use, and won't break my wallet? He is one month old but is a preemie so is a little small. I would love to be able to nurse in it. And possibly some light cleaning.

MoM.i.aM

Asked by MoM.i.aM at 11:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you will need to have your hand on him at all times, no matter what you use. I myself am not a huge fan of them, so maybe some other moms can help.My fear, and this has been reported, is the suffocation factor, I would just be too nervous. some moms swear they cant live without them..as for cheap? ummmm not usre thats the best way to go lol, but good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• www.mamatoto.org - it will give you a good idea of what's out there.

try a wrap. they're easy, andcomfortable
    Anonymous

• ergo. its 100 dollars but worth every single penny. people like moby wraps too
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 11:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• every kid that ive know that basically got raised in one of those wraps has a missshaped head
    Anonymous

• I use a hotsling, I paid about $35 on sale from diapers.com. I would recommend ordering one size bigger than what they say you need. I love it and your baby can go in three different ways. I was even able to put my almost three year old in it just playing around in the hip carry position. I just gave away my infantino sling, what did they say about it on the news? Maybe I should let the girl know...
    TruckersWife426

Answer by TruckersWife426 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• how can a baby worn in a wrap have a miss shaped head? its not like they're squished in there....head does poke out the top.

you are sadly misinformed - or you haven't seen a wrap being worn properly.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Tuckerswife....it is a suffocation risk. It can fold them into a ball and cut off oxygen.
    MoM.i.aM

Answer by MoM.i.aM at 11:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i had a sling with my daughter and the moby wrap with my son and absolutely love. You can use it when they're pretty tiny and even when they get pretty big. It's super comfortable and the babies love it. there are many different ways to wear it and to position baby so just use what position your most comfortable with. I will definitely recommend it. I wouldn't even try anything else since i've used it. Good luck.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 12:33 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• In addition to the Hotslings pouch, Moby, and Ergo which are all good carriers, for a ring sling option you may want to look at the Sleeping Baby slings which are excellently made, not too pricey, and (like other ring slings, and like the other carriers mentioned) they are quite safe and secure when used properly. The purse style "bag slings" like the Infantino are not safe - they're designed wrong on several points and you're quite right to get rid of it.  Good for you for being a savvy mom!

Good solid info on the difference between the bag sling and other (safe) carriers is at the Baby Sling Safety page.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:15 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• And misshapen head is NOT, even in a dangerous sling, a risk with carrying your baby. It is, however, a very real problem associated with overuse of carseats as carriers/holders, as well as swings and other gadgets, and NOT holding/carrying your baby.
    It could be that if you've seen babies in carriers who had plagiocephaly (flat head) that they have started carrying their baby in a sling at a medical professional's suggestion - not that the sling caused it. That doesn't even make any sense at all. The physics are against it.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:22 AM on Mar. 13, 2010