Why has it become so hard to immigrate to a country (US) which was built on immigration?

I mean, unless you are 100% Native American, your family came from somewhere other than here. But it has become so hard to immigrate legally that almost 100,000 people a year sneak in or risk their lives to come here...

Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would assume that you have to have money and permission from the country you live in now. The people that sneak in probably dont have money and would be seen as a traitor if they wanted to switch countries.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• They tightened restrictions on immigration because our economy can not support large unchecked numbers of people coming to this country. In 1990 they made a law that 675,000 people could legally become Americans each year. That number is not set in stone if there are special circumstances. I know one man who had to wait 5 years for his wife to be allowed into the States. So I can see why people get upset at others who do it illegally.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:41 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Here's the thing that people with that type of mentality dont seem to GET .......and its VERY basic.......unrestrained, uncontrollable, passively allowing MASS overloads of immigrants DIDNT WORK OUT SO WELL FOR THE INDIANS! If ANYTHING they should be held up as PROOF of the NEED for stricter immigration policies as our resources become further and further depleted!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• The Native Americans came from somewhere else too. What about people that are part Native American and part immigrant? What are they? This country was BUILT on immigration, but it is now full. It cannot support the citizens it has. Unfortunately, the time has come to draw a line.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:44 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Because our government doesn't know how to follow the Constitution. The Constitution doesn't mention immigration, the federal government has NO SAY in immigration.

The 10th Amendment says that powers not granted to the national government nor prohibited to the states by the Constitution of the United States are reserved to the states or the people.
    So it is supposed to be left up to the states. If it were left up to the states immigration restrictions in some areas may become more restricted and others may become more lenient.

I can bet my bottom dollar that if they left it up to the states... the few major immigration states would be able to get out of debt.(i.e. Florida, California, Wisconsin) But you know that thing called the Constitution is out dated and just used for the government to wipe their arses with.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:20 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• How would letting illegals in who don't pay taxes get states out of debt???
    Gah that makes NO sense
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:24 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

Gah that makes NO sense
    ________
    I am sorry, I will put it in LAYMENS for you. The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT has NO RIGHT to set the rules as in how much it costs. If the government left it up to the states they would make the rules and they would get all the fees and that OMG... goes toward state deficits.

The QUESTION the OP asked was "Why has it become so hard to immigrate to a country (US) which was built on immigration?" I answered it is hard because our government can't follow the Constitution. Immigration fees and laws would vary by STATE if the fed government followed the constitution.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:40 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Every country has immigration laws, some more strict than ours. Stop assuming we're the only ones who control (and it's something that needs to be controlled) who enters and exits the country. It's common sense, it's not "hate" or "discrimination" against immigrants it's just part of what comes with managing a society.
    lady_kira

Answer by lady_kira at 4:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• If immigrants don't want to pay anything now what makes you think they would pay Immigration fees ?
    It is NOT hard to become a citizen here. I have a friend from New Zealand who is not the brightest apple in the bunch but he STILL became a citizen. Now he works at the same Airline as my husband.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:24 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Who said immigrants don't want to pay fees? So YOU speak for all of the immigrants now? Your friend DIDN'T have a problem paying the FEES! It isn't HARD to become a citizen it is EXPENSIVE. Immigrants know you have to pay fees but the fees are outrageous for their income. It costs 675 dollars of fees to become a citizen. A Mexican worker makes $4.50 A DAY! So a Mexican worker would have to save 150 DAYS worth of pay. That means buying no food, no rent, nothing for 150 DAYS! Minimum wage in Cuba is $9.40 A MONTH! So that is 71 MONTHS of not buying ANYTHING! So imagine how much money the states could make if they were allowed to make the rules and fees. I bet Cali would lower the fees drastically and still bank!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2010