Am I becoming my mom?

My daughter (almost 10 years) had ballroom dancing lessons through her PE classes (public school). The day of the final, they had a public performance. Her partner she was with the whole semester was absent...she was distraught. However, another boy (a fifth-grader..she's in fourth), voluntarily stepped in to dance with her. It was quite apparent to me that he likes her. He seemed very polite (even thanked her at the end for dancing with him), and sweet. So, I told her I thought so (not in front of him). She seemed really embarrassed and ready for me to leave the school. I was still trying to take pictures of everything. Is it time for me to start paying more attention to not creating embarrassing "mom" moments?

mylifeinscraps

Asked by mylifeinscraps at 1:19 AM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• NOPE!

My kids went through this at about that age. You do need to make sure you aren't going "over the top" with it, but there's nothing wrong with going there, etc. You can nicely explain to her that you aren't just going for her sake, you're going because you're her mom, you love her, and you want to be there, for your sake, too - so you can witness these moments in her life.

My kids are older teens now, and they say they did appreciate that I went, that sometimes they were embarrassed if there weren't a lot of other moms, but it wasn't because they didn't want me there, but because they were afraid that their friends would give them a hard time because I was, and some of their moms weren't. Now, they've figured out that those friends often wished that their moms were there, too.

She might have been embarrassed because she likes him, too ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:29 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Oh - lol, I should add, it's the middle of Sat afternoon where we're stationed, and in a little while, I'm going to be heading out the door to go have some of those "mom moments" - watching my 17 yr old son play soccer. As long as I'm not trying to hug him or do that whole "here, sweetie, you have something on your face" sorts of things (lol, which I think is funny, since I haven't done the whole something on your face thing since he was about 4 or 5...), then he's glad that we go and cheer for him.

She's just getting to that age that no matter what you do, she's going to be uncomfortable - either you aren't involved, and you must not care, or you're embarrassing her, because - gasp - people might actually find out that she has parents ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• As much as I hate to admit it, and try as we might---we ALL turn into out mom's in the end. I think we're hard wired that way. lol I've just given up trying to fight it. Although there are places where I draw the line...my mom was a big Seattle Seahawks fan! I detest football, sorry mom. lolol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Oh hell no! Embaressing mom moments are just so fun! I look back on the ones with my mom and laugh...I didn't at the time...but so long as you aren't trying to be mean it's fine!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I love embarrassing mom moments...my mom and i look back on those times and always have a good laugh. I cannot wait to do it with my kids.
    lori232

Answer by lori232 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 15, 2010