Attention Issues

My son is in Kindergarten this year and his teacher thinks that he may have some attention issues. I truely do not believe that he has ADHD because he is not hyperactive. I teach kindergarten as well so I am well aware of what to look for when it comes to that. However, his teacher says that her son has some attention issues as well and they do "other things" to keep it under control that does not concern any medication. Does anyone have any idea what this means??
My son is very bright but I feel that he just isn't focusing as hard as he should on some things. I have noticed the same thing in sports. He just seems not to listen sometimes when he being showed something, almost like it doesn't interest him at all even if he says he likes whatever it is.
He is not a behavior problem at all and rarely gets into trouble but its almost like he is daydreaming. we have even gotten ears checked to make sure this wasn't a hearing prob

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Mar. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help

Answer by rkoloms at 5:00 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Is it possible that he has add as opposed to adhd?

good luck!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:51 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• it is possible that he is just bored isn't it? what would you think if this were a child in your class? it has been my experience that some teachers just deal better with different kids...and also some environments are better for different kids. for instance, a kindergarten teacher that is a little anal will have a ton of structure and organization to her room and her lessons.
    it can't hurt to go to an add support group and see what some other parents have done. i would look into diet, and supplement with a fish oil, or flaxseed oil...some people like hemp oil. essential fatty acids are needed for proper brain function, and unfortunately the typical american diet is really lacking in this department!
    good luck to you and your son!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:08 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• By "other things" she could mean changing his diet or using a behavior modification system. She could also mean herbal or homeopathic remedies.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:31 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• First of all, your child is 5. Five year olds don't have a very long attention span. Secondly, he's a boy. They tend to have a harder time concentrating at a young age than girls. He's probably a happy healthy 5 year old boy.

If you are curious about what these "other things" the teacher is talking about, talk to her. She may be able to offer you some good advice. I know many parents find success with issues such as your by changing the child's diet. No red and yellow dyes. No aspartame. No soda. No junk foods.

You are on the internet, do some research Mom.
    Anonymous

• Oh my, your child is 5...5 years old. He;s not supposed to have a long attention span. All kids learn differently, have different abilities and have different attention spans. Your son sounds like a typical 5 yr old. go with your instincts!
    Anonymous

• ADD is a LAST resort diagnosis (learning alot b/c my son is going through all this now).... I'd also have eyes checked and maybe a full psycho-social.
    Also there was recently an article in our hospitals new letter that talked about sleeping issues (related to enlarged adenoids) being mistaken for ADHD.
    I just recently read "beyond Ritalin" -- intl NOT an anti med bood and it is outdated but it does give some nice hints, pointers and even discusses other things that can be mistaken for ADHD (including gitedness btw)
    Anonymous