Dayton Ohio Law Question for 1972

could anyone tell me if the law in 1972 in Ohio on marriages required you to be 21 without concent of parents unless you were pregant.I tried to find the answer on the internet with out much luck. This info is rather important to me. So please help :))

Bingmom

Asked by Bingmom at 3:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I think you will need to go to a law library and look up former revisions of the Ohio Revised Code (doesn't matter what city the marriage took place in, they all have to conform to the Ohio Revised Code). The particular section of the code that you're asking about was updated in 2004 to line up with the passage of the Marriage Ammendment (prohibiting same sex marriages). Before that, I can't find when it was last revised. All I can find is that boys who are 18 and girls who are 16 are legal age to marry without parental consent and it does not mention pregnancy. Wish I could be more help.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 3:41 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I'd go to the Courthouse and find a clerk who has been there a long time and just ask. Normally I'd say that was an unrealistic age (21) since in most places you are considered an adult at 18 but you are talking Ohio. I've never seen a place with more odd laws.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Then again you could just call the Court Clerk that does marriage licenses and ask them what it is now and ask them if in 1972 it was different. Then if they don't know, ask to speak to someone who worked there in '72.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I would think that if the law was that stringent people would run off to another state.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I say that bc in '72 I ran off and married in TN bc we couldn't get married in KY where we lived.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I don't live in Ohio :) Guess I will have to keep searching for the info online. As much junk that you can find on the internet you'd think I could find this LOL.
    Bingmom

Answer by Bingmom at 7:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• what about a law school near you? wait i know who you can call:

try the new york public library telephone reference:
    For quick answers, call us at Telephone Reference. 917-ASK-NYPL (917-275-6975). We take calls Monday to Saturday 9 am to 6 pm, EST.

if that doesn't work, ask for suggestions from that librarian -- where to call next. she will probably say to call a law school library.
    madfoot

Answer by madfoot at 12:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2010