Breatfeeding question!??!?!?

I have been breastfeeding for a 18 months now, I've been trying to stop for a few months but nothing seemed to work. a few nights ago she started taking the sippi cup with water... and....2 days ago i stopped breastfeeding.. my breats are really full after 2 full days....what should i do? should i pump or should i leave them for the milk to dry up? how long does it take for the breasts to get back to normal??? i need some advise please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 AM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• i would hand express until the pressure was relieved. if you pump, you will be signaling to your body that you still need the milk, so your body will fill the breast again.
    good luck to you...hopefully soon you will feel relief!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• SUPER tight sports bra and cabbage leaves..Put the leaves in the fridge..its feels nice lol...DONt let the shower water hit your breast...If you use a pump your breast will think your wanting to still use the milk..It only took about a week and a half with my second..with my first it felt like it was FOREVER :(
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Ryan... sorry, but binding causes plugged ducts. I would NEVER advise this course of action.

Wear a good fitting, supportive bra, use COLD (helps relieve discomfort) cabbage leaves, which actually reduce the milk supply. Try to avoid any breast/nipple stimulation which is unnecessary. Express a LITTLE to make you more comfortable, just a couple times a day. Antihistamines, and most decongestants also dry up your milk supply.

Btw- not everyone stops producing- I can still get a couple of ounces @ a time- and have never stopped lactating since the birth of my first child, almost 9 years ago.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:18 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I weaned gradually and experienced no pain. We cut out a daytime feeding or two first. Then a couple more. Then I cut out the early am feeding. The last to go was the before bed feeding. No pain. No engorgement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Sage tea can also help... brew the tea, cover it while it steeps, and let it steep for 6 to 10 minutes. Check out the Kellymom page on sage and weaning, she also talks about other ways to use sage, as well as other things that can help (including cabbage leaves.)

This is my go-to site for all things breastfeeding!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:37 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• its better to slowly wean because you won't be that uncomfortable. My younger two BF for 20mos and I just kinda did it slowly so if she BF alot before and you really want to stop I think its best not to pump maybe squeeze a little out to relieve pressure. Sorry I can feel your pain from my BF'ing days!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Oh, so sorry you quickly weaned like that. It is going to be rough on you for a little while. It is so much better to slowly wean by dropping 1 feeding every few days. Be sure to keep a look out for mastitis. You can pump, but don't pump enough to produce more milk, just enough to relieve the pressure. Hot showers help to. Take ibuprofen for the pain. You can also put cabage leaves in your bra.

Good luck.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:59 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• ObbyDobbie

Guess I will never take advice from La Leche League again ;)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:37 AM on Mar. 13, 2010