2 day old baby boy, little red in pee??

My baby boy is 2 days old and I just noticed when I changed him there was a little bit of maybe blood on the diaper. is this ok or should I call dr in the morning?? he has not been circumcised so thats not it. any helpful answers needed. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 AM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call the doc
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:43 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• if you are breastfeeding this could be blood from a cracked nipple. also, it is very common for newborns to have a spot or two of blood...they say from the elevated hormone levels that the mother passes on th the baby. this is information your ob should have told you b/c it can be soooo alarming to see this in your lo's diaper!
    you can keep an eye on it, or call the doc for reassurance. this is most likely all that you will see of it.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:47 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• are you sure it's blood? is it clearly red? The reason I ask is sometimes babies have crystals that are orange in color that can look like blood. If that is what it is, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you think it might be related to his foreskin I would maybe have it looked at only if the foreskin looks red... I wouldn't bring him in to have an old school doctor go and retract him and make things worse. It's not common that a baby this age would have a UTI but if you notice fussiness or a temp over 100.5 then he should be looked at.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Probably uric crystals which is totally normal!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Actually it is Urate Crystals :-)

"It is not uncommon to have urate crystals, which have an orange or red, brick dust color, in an infant's diaper. This is especially common when a child is getting a little dehydrated, although even healthy babies can have them."

"infant s urine may normally contain significant amounts of uric acid. These crystals get trapped in the diaper liner and appear like red brick dust. If the "blood" in the urine has this appearance, it is probably not really blood but uric acid crystals."

Here is a photo: http://newborns.stanford.edu/PhotoGallery/Urates2.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• OP here, in better light today, I noticed it is really actually orange, exactly what the pp are describing. He acts normal and is nursing good.
    Anonymous