Anyone have tips for bathroom issues for a six year old?

My six year old has been "potty trained" for peeing since he was 2....but still has bowl movement issues, and has "accidents" daily. I have tried EVERYTHING. Pediatrician is not concerned..."it is a control issue...he will do it when he is ready." Anyone else having these issues?...anyone made it over the hump and have advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Mar. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my 7 yr, old does that my 12yr, old does that dh still does that it's a man thing it will never end!! Just always look before you sit or step for that matter
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• it is sometimes a control issue and kids sometimes realize they have to go as its coming out. it gets better and just be sure to not shame him but reward the good.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:59 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I have two thoughts. One is he is 6. Ask him what would help him to stop having accidents.

My second is to ignore the behavior. Explain to him that the doctor said this is in HIS control because it's his body. So when he has an accident he will be responsible for cleaning up, cleaning himself, changing his clothes and either putting the soiled ones in the washer or in a place that you designate. You can give him spray cleaner for any place that gets soiled (the floor, etc) and tell him that he is a big boy. He can choose to continue, or start cleaning, because you have done your job. Now it's time for him to choose. If it is happening at school at all, try calling the school nurse for how to proceed at school. If it's truly a control issue, you can NOT control it. Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• is he constipated? My son at times has issues and he was extremely hard to train for #2! But his issue is constipation but its been alot better as I changed his diet. he is 6.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I was also going to ask if he was constipated. Sometimes a child can have chronic constipation issues and because of that can begin to lose that natural ability to detect the "I need to poop" feeling. It usually takes awhile for that to happen but it is possible. Also, sometimes if they are constipated a bit of poop can leak out on their underwear without them even knowing it. The term for that kind of constipation is ENCOPRESIS and unless your child is complaining about pooping you might not realize they have it.
    Anonymous

• My kids are 4 and 8 and both of them are completely potty trained. No accidents. it's floors me the first comment about the hubby and 12 year old doing it.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2010