Can you please give me insight on Celiac Disease?

I have a bad stomach but lately its been really bothering me. I have diarrhea alot after I eat.The last time I broke out in hives was when I had popcorn a yr. ago, and now last time(I had pizza and one beer for dinner) I woke up in the middle of the night with diarrhea,and then big hives in diff. areas of my body. I'm trying to find out more info. Thanks any input is great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Health

• I don't believe you would break out in hives with Celiac's. What you are describing sounds more like an allergy. It may be corn that is the problem. Corn meal is frequently put down under a pizza crust to prevent sticking. It sounds like you should head to your doctor. Allergies can become life threatening.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• OP here-thanks.....I've been doing research on the net this morning. I'm fine when I eat regular corn though...I'm thinking it's a barley,wheat,allergy...but I also read that some people with Celiacs do get hives even though it's not common...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• It sounds like classic celiac to me. Do a 2 week elimination diet and see how you feel. That's what the doctor is going to have you do. If you feel better off gluten then do you really need to go in and have testing done to get a diagnosis?

If you were diagnosed by a doctor, your "treatment" would simply be to not eat anythign with gluten. There are no magic pills to take or any other special things to do. Once you have been gluten free for several weeks, your body will feel so different. You may even lose a few vanity pounds. Over weight people often lose a good deal of weight.

I write a gluten-free food blog with recipes updated constantly. There are some tips on how to buy gluten-free foods. daniellecooks.wordpress.com

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:02 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• You should really see a GI specialist. Stay on gluten until the testing is done. A biopsy of the small intestine is needed to confirm celiac. Depending on the amount of damage done to your intestines, you may need to go on steroids to help heal it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I have food allergies mostly Dairy and refined flower allergies. So there are a whole lot of products that give me either hives or diarrhea.  I have started to change my diet as well you should talk to your doctor about it. I had to now I am working my way to a diet I can live with. Going to the doctor can only help.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I am not overweight. I'm 5'6 and 135.
    Anonymous

• no one said you needed to diet, a diet is the way you eat. its a lifestyle change you need to make, even if its just an elimination diet to see if gluten and wheat is really the culprit.

I'm not celiac but eat gluten free to heal psoriasis.

wheat and all the derivatives etc are huge factors in pretty much every part of the body.

I went clean, and gluten free with remarkable results.

you had a beer? and got hives? you could have a reaction to yeast, and hops or whatever is in the beer. my dh is (sadly) allergic to yeast, and hops - he has a nasty skin reaction and breathing problems after drinking a beer. so it could also be that.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2010