how deep is your faith?

do you medicate yourself before exploring alternative solutions for what ails you? if you believe that God gave doctors the knowledge to heal us, then why are there so many changes in medical protocol? i find that God does not change protocol as time goes by...why have so much faith in the medical community when every 10 years the find out they were doing things wrong? does this mean your faith in your doctor is stronger than your faith in God?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you are a little confused. While God's laws are a constant, I think you're wrong to say God's protocol doesn't change. God changes with the times. In the Old Testament, he presented himself to Moses in the burning bush, he flooded the world, he showed undeniable physical proof of His existance where as today such spectacles would terrify most people so He is present in our modern day lives by speaking to our hearts.

Any way, to get back on track with your question about medicine. Any time myself or a family member have an ailment, I pray when we go to the dr. I pray that God gives our dr the wisdom to diagnose and treat us appropriately. I pray that God lays his healing hands on us and heals us if it is His will.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• They don't find out they were doing things wrong, they find out how to do things BETTER. If it weren't for our doctors and medical community, we'd still be dying from polio, the flu, chicken pox, measles, mumps, rubella, and women would be dyinig from childbirth at an astonishing rate.
    Maybe your god is leading the doctors to find better ways to heal your health issues. Finding better ways does not mean the old way was wrong.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I believe God gave man the ability to use medicine and medical knowledge, and I don't believe that the two are mutually exclusive.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:40 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

•  i find that God does not change protocol as time goes by...why have so much faith in the medical community when every 10 years the find out they were doing things wrong?

Do you have any idea how ignorant this sounds?   Medical research and technology is advancing in leaps and bounds very rapidly.  My dh said last night that we're not far away from medical tricorders (1960's Star Trek style) after watching the health report on the news.  They were reporting on a mini hand held ultra sound scanner that looked like an Ipod.  How the hell can you compare that to a 2000 year old book?

Are you having a "DUH" moment yet?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:13 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I believe we are only human. God gave some people great gifts in knowing medicine. But, as we are human, their ways change. Sure, natural ways are great, but sometimes we need to turn to medicine. We shouldn't deny to seek medical help for ourselves or our children based on "God's medical protocol" not changing.
    Does that mean that we all just sit around... waiting for jesus to come back and heal us miraculously?
    I believe God influences doctor's minds and skills... not that they stand alone as great.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I have a deep faith in Healing however I also use wisdom as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Luke was a physician, Paul even identified him as "the beloved physician.” (Col 4:14) and remember Paul recommended that Timothy take a little wine for the sake of his stomach and his frequent cases of sickness. (1Ti 5:23) That wine has medicinal properties is confirmed by present-day research. Dr. Salvatore P. Lucia, Professor of Medicine, University of California School of Medicine, has stated: “Wine is widely used in the treatment of diseases of the digestive system. . . . The tannin content and the mildly antiseptic properties of wine make it valuable in the treatment of intestinal colic, mucous colitis, spastic constipation, diarrhea and many infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.” (Wine as Food and Medicine, 1954, p. 58)

nothing wrong in going to Doctors......

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Doctors were created by God. So it's not a bad thing to go to a doctor. A lot of problems do go away with time. But sometimes you need someone with the proper knowledge to help.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• beeky...i am not so sure that ultrasound technology has changed much ultrasounds were used on the front lines during ww2. what i do believe has changed is the computer technology that makes the ultrasound technology as portable as a palm held machine, and the computer technology that allows for extrapolation of data to create a 3d image.
    really, when i posted this, i was thinking of dr's saying it was not harmful to smoke or drink while pregnant, and so readily prescribing medications before exploring alternatives.
    sahmamax...i simply disagree that we are doing things better, the us spends more on healthcare than any other country, and we on many scales do not come close to being the healthiest.

thriving mom...i just felt peace when i read your reply. thanks!
    and shaneagle...thanks!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2010