How can I get my 5 year old son to use the bathroom without pulling down his pants?

My son has been potty trained since he was 2 1/2 but my husband was deployed during this time. I taught him to pull his pants down so that he would not pee on himself. So, he did this for about a year before daddy came home. However, my mistake was already done and he is in a habit of pulling his pants completely down while going to the bathroom. This is okay at home, but when he goes to school in August, I am afraid that he will be made fun of. We have tried encouraging him to be a "big boy like daddy" but he will occasionaly do it but his automatic response when going to the bathroom is to pull his pants completely down. Any advice on how to fix this problem that I have created?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Mar. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• hw will see other kids NOt doing it and he will mimic them, trust me he will get it fast. and at that early age they tend to not make funj of each other too much because everyone is so little and new at it too. hey at least he is pulling them down lol
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:58 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• to me thats better...smart boy. I think your stressing over nothing relax:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Op here- I guess I am more worried about the older kids making fun of him. He is in Pre-K at the school and they have their own bathroom, however, he had to stay in after school care for a few days. He went to one of the main bathrooms and did this and one of the 4th or 5th graders made fun of him. For the next few days that I picked him up he had an accident on the way home. He had been holding it in until we got home to avoid going to the bathroom at school. I had talked with the After school director and she said that they would allow him to go at a time when no one else was going to the bathroom. When he gets to kindergarten though, I don't think that he can avoid this as much, so I am trying to prevent it before it happens (again).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• LOL OP. It's funny but not funny. My older son did the same thing. When he was in kindergarten he came home and told me another kid called him butt boy. I had to walk out of the room lol. I just told him what to do and had daddy show him again what to do, and he never had a problem again.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• LOL, Christine0813, I feel a little better now that I know that he is not the only one. Butt Boy, lol.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with and when he goes to school other kids will not see him do this.'
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 11:42 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Totally normal. I finally got my son to "not show his butt" when he pees. I just tell him to spread his legs to catch his pants and the the just flip the top of his underwear down and his pp will pop out. Worked for him. The lil slit in the undies is not happening and my hubby said most guys dont use it...huh go figure.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Be glad that's all he does. My son is almost 7 and insists on taking off ALL his clothes when he poops. Last year he was in Kindergarten and they had their own bathroom but he had a time when he was at a different class and had to use one of the older kids bathrooms. He had to poop and stripped down naked in the stall to go. Apparently an older boy walked in on him and made some comment about their being a little kid in there (the lock on the stall didn't work) I don't think the older child realized that he was naked (thankfully) I am STILL trying to convince him to leave his clothes on when he poops. He is afraid that he won't get his penis pointed down and might accidentally pee on his shirt and he says that his pants "just aren't comfortable" to have pulled down rather than off! Sheesh
    Anonymous

• Anon 12:41- My son does that too! I am just glad that he only poops at home. As soon as I pick him up from school, the first thing he does when he gets home is strip and go to the bathroom to poop. You can see his trail of clothes from the doorway, all the way up the stairs and into the bathroom.
    Anonymous

• Wouldn't this be a good opportunity to teach him to ignore what other kids say if they make fun of him? Why don't you teach him to be a big boy and not listen to others who are mean
    Anonymous