Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you report an under age drinker?

i know this girl(19 yr) who drinks all the time im starting to think she has an addiction she drinks from the time she gets off work until she passes out then goes to work hung over and her days off she drinks non stop. she goes to bars and gets with older men just get drinks and has even slept with a couple of bar tenders so they give her drinks. they have an anonymous hotline in my state where i could report her. i know her address DOB car and what bars she goes to and couple of the guys who buys her alcohol.
we arent close friends but i do talk to her a few times a week and when i brought up concern she gave me this "i can do what i want" attitude.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (24)
  • I don't report most underage drinking unless they are younger than 18. I have a reason for that though, I think that if somebody can join the military and go to war at 17, and they can vote for our nations leaders at 18, then I think they should also legally be able to drink at 18. I never understood the whole 21 thing. BUT in your case, I would report this girl because maybe she'll get a clue that she's ruining her life. She sounds like she's a really bad alcoholic and like a PP said, I bet one day she would thank you if your actions led to her being able to get sober.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 1:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • definitely.. while she can do what she wants, she has to learn that there ARE consequences. sounds like she isn't mature enough yet to partake in something that is so dangerous, even for adults.

    Answer by gracefulsky at 11:40 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • yes

    Answer by BlooBird at 11:46 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • Do these men know how old she is? I'd try to find her help another way, maybe talk to her parents. She might know it was you..then again if the cops just happen to be checking IDs at the bar, she might not. If the bar does not know how old she is(some fake ids are good), I'd let them know. I was a bartender for a long time and have known bartenders who have been arrested simply for not being able to tell they were using a siblings id. ...But if they know or the owner knows, screw them. If not your putting the whole business through hell.


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • Absolutely! I had to do something similar once. When I graduated high school, I got a full time job and my own condo. 2 of my close friends were suppose to move in with me but backed out after we had already signed the lease. My boyfriend (now husband) said that his friends girlfriends were looking for a place. I didn't know them well but I agreed. They were horrible room mates. They would bring in people they barely knew. They refused to sign a new lease so my name was the only one on it. One night it got out of hand. I came home from work and found drinking, drugs, and some body that I have never meet before claiming that she had just kidnapped her child. I asked them to get out of my house and they refused. I called the cops and most of them were charged with underage drinking. It was only a $500 fine but they knew that I meant business.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • Given the circumstances, yes. That girl needs help.
    I wouldn't report all underage drinkers, but this one needs it before she destroys her life.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • Yes.. she needs help. It isn't like she is going out once in awhile. She could end up killing herself. The fact that she is using sex to get alcohol and everything else means she is an alcoholic... maybe worse. Yes.. call... she'll never know who, and if somehow she guesses... i bet someday she will thank you.

    Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • Would I report an underage drinker? Not im most cases. Would I report her? Depends. I would probably start by giving her information for rehab, possibly form an intervention. If she gets FORCED to partake in a type of rehab (which is what will happen if legal matters are taken) then it is less likely to work. However, if information & intervention don't get through to her, instead of reporting her directly you could try tipping off that the bars she goes to are allowing underage drinkers. If the bar is faced with legal consequences they will be more strict with who they let in to save their own asses.

    Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • Where I live, 19 is the legal drinking age.


    Answer by beeky at 12:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • Which is why we always headed up to Canada for our 19th birthdays!!

    Answer by twin_mommy at 12:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2010