Pelosi and her "infinite wisdom" strike again!

"Think of an economy where people could be an artist or a photographer or a writer without worrying about keeping their day job in order to have health insurance."

--Nancy Pelosi

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35835370/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/

What kind of "economy" thrives where goods are not actually produced?! And you liberal/progressive types don't think she subscribes to socialism...pfft!

Tell me, WHAT is the incentive to work if all you're doing is supporting those who would rather putz around with their non-income producing hobbies, instead of being productive citizens?!

THIS is how socialism begins--the MAJORITY of citizens being taken care of by the government from the FEW who choose to better themselves! Just look at the U.K.--that's where we're headed under this administration!

What do you think?!

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 12:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband is an artist, and doesn't need a day job to have insurance. I have friends who are silversmiths, blacksmiths, sculptors, photographers, and potters, and all are self-employed and have health insurance. It's called "paying premiums for health insurance". Weird concept, I know.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Oh my Lord...lol GEESH this lady there are no words.You know how I feel Lori
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• people in the arts need to understand that it's a difficult way to make a living most of the time.

So do it because you love it and realize going in that it's difficult.
    Why should society subsidize that lifestyle?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I think she is smoking too much of that medical pot she was in favor of. She is still living at Haight-/Ashbury during the summer of love. The only problem is that even the hippies couldn't maintain that type of lifestyle. Someone had to go earn some money. Like I've said before, this is the last gasping breath of the hippies. She just proved my point.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Soooooo, if I quit my day job and start spending most of my time quilting will the govt pay my BCBS premiums??

I agree with mancos, people do have "arts" jobs and they buy insurance. It isn't rocket science in is common sense and personal responsiblity. Of course Nancy knows nothing of this.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• A person could make lots of money selling their art or whatever but they would not have health insurance as they would if they worked for a company that features employee's health care. That is not so hard to understand,is it?
    Anonymous

***
    A FEW people might manage to be successful and talented enough at their hobby to actually make a self-sufficient income (like Mancos' hubby and friends), but NOT everyone!!!

MOST people NEED to work in order to pursue their hobbies...but Pelosi thinks EVERYONE should be able to pursue their hobbies in LIEU of working to pay their bills and their health insurance premiums--why is that so hard for YOU to understand?! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• "A person could make lots of money selling their art or whatever but they would not have health insurance as they would if they worked for a company that features employee's health care. That is not so hard to understand,is it? "

Actually, what you say is VERY hard to understand, since it isn't true. There is nothing to stop an artist from buying health insurance. My artist husband has been paying for his own health insurance since he was in his 20's.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• On the other hand, anon, if you feel so strongly about subsidizing artists, please send me a message and I'll gladly let YOU pay for MY health premiums. You have a few extra hundred every month, I suspect, right? We can use Paypal and I'll invoice you every month. Looking forward to your reply. :-)

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I love saturdays how 'bout you?
    Anonymous