breastfeeding and pregnant?

Is it safe to breastfeed while pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Usually, yes, it's perfectly safe. :-)

If you have a history of problems controlling your blood sugar levels, the early months can be very hard on your body. I don't have any studies to back this up, only the anecdote that my hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) pretty much forced me to wean my son by the end of my first trimester/second pregnancy. He was 15 months by then, I don't feel terribly awful about weaning when we did, especially because it was a relief to not have my BS swinging crazily all the time.

For most women, nursing while pregnant is perfectly fine. Some women find their nipples are more painful but otherwise experience few to no side effects.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:45 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Yes I know lots of women that do.
    Anonymous

• For most women, yes! :-)
    Are you at-risk for preterm labor?

Like many others, I nursed through my entire pregnancy and then tandem nursed after.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I was nursing when I got pregnant with my third baby. We continued to nurse until I was 5 months, at that point my milk mostly dried up and my nursling started pinching, biting and hitting me out of frustration. So we weaned.
    Good luck with your new baby :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I BF for the first 4 months of my pregnancy.

It's perfectly safe. The only thing you need to be aware of is your progestrone levels. The prolactin can cause lower progestrone levels so you may need a supplement.

Have you doctor or midwife check your levels through blood work and they'll let you know if you need a supplement.
    Anonymous

• yes!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/links-nursingpregnant.html
    Anonymous

• Anon :22, that actually happened to me but I couldn't find any evidence supporting that breastfeeding was what was causing it. Do you have an article or something?

I'm nursing my daughter now and I'm 19 weeks pregnant. So far no problems, just a little nipple soreness and some low progesterone in the beginning. It's perfectly safe in a healthy pregnancy :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Um I don't remember exactly where I read this Ati_13.

I do know that I read it when I was dealing with a Luteal Phase Defect. I read that BF women often has temporary LPDs because of low progestrone that is caused by the Prolactin hormone supressing it. I did a little more research and talked to my doctor about it. There is a lot of information about it out there, especially, if you are looking under LPD.

I took Vitex to deal with my LPD and it raised my progestrone levels enough so that I didn't require a progestrone supplement during pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• Ati_13

Here is a link discussing this a little. I don't think it's one of the ones I read but it should give you a start on finding info about this.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/preconception/34201
    Anonymous

• Sorry to hyjack your thread, OP.

Anon, I did have LPD as well, but, but only after I had had an ectopic. Before that my cycles were still normal, even right after my period returned. So I had more than one thing going on there lol. Pregnancy loss plus breastfeeding and then pregnancy occured before my LPD was corrected, so low progesterone was pretty much guaranteed in my case. I'm 19 weeks, though so something worked just fine lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2010