Cluster feeding?

Hello. I am a new mom and it seems like my baby boy is cluster feeding. Last night he was up wanting to nurse about every half hour. Sometimes he would just nurse for about 5 mins. before falling back to sleep, and then wake up again in 15-30 mins. I am now sore and exhausted! any tips? I tried giving him a pacifier, but he just spit it out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is very exhausting when baby cluster feeds. Use lanolin on your nips & lay down nursing baby. Then you'll be able to snooze a bit while baby eats. Ifbhe's spitting out the paci, then he needs to nurse. You can do it!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• my baby did that too. dont worry, it wont last too long. my baby is 4 months old now and still refuses a pacifier, so i probably wont be giving her one.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• This is completely normal.

Put lanolin on your nipples and some cool packs on you nipples between nursing.
    Anonymous

• It's normal. Like pp said, side lying nursing makes it possible for you to rest when he nurses. Just let him nurse as he wants- it tells your body to increase the supply. It will pass. He may cluster every time he hits a growth spurt, so mark down when to expect those so you are ready for it. Lanolin, cool packs/cloths, letting them air, and applying a little expressed milk and letting it air dry after he finishes all help sore nipples.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Hang in there! Is this a newborn? Plan on nursing 24/7 for the first month or so (you won't really, but it will feel that way at times!) I found it helped to kind of psych myself out that all I would do was nurse for those first few weeks. This is not what it will be like long term. When they are so little they often won't stay awake to get a whole feeding and need lots of little feedings. This will be great for bringing in a good milk supply for the long run! Keep it up and it will get easier and this may only happen again during the occasional growth spurt.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Seconding what others have said -- it's normal, and fortunately it passes! The baby's needs in the first weeks are so intense, and frequent nursing is needed to establish a good supply...it's just a very draining time for mama. Things ease up later on once things are more established. Just hang in there, get what help you can without any guilt or shame (what you're doing is WAY more important than the dishes!) and know that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. It seems like FOREVER when you're knee-deep in sleep deprivation, but it really is a short time before breastfeeding is the easiest thing in the world.

Also, even with cluster nursing, your nipples may feel uncomfortable but they shouldn't HURT. If it does, you might want to make sure the latch is correct (every single time, which is also not going to be so difficult/necessary later on!) and perhaps have a LLL Leader, experienced nursing mom, or LC check it out.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Thank you everyone!
    Anonymous