Breastfeeding again

I'm thinking of breastfeeding my 23 month old again. Do you think it will do her any harm or anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Im not sure if anyone remembers me but I got totally bashed on here not long ago for starting to nurse my son again after two years but its worked out great and I couldnt be happier. My son nursed till he was 13 months old and then self weened because of how active he was and then two years later I reintroduced it to him and he acts like he never stopped, its a miracle. Of course I have no milk left except colostrum because our little girl will be here next month. He only nurses befor nap time and bed time and its more of a comfort thing for him right now untill my milk comes back in. I have no doubt in my mind that he will continue to nurse once my milk comes back in cause he still wont drink cold milk so we have to warm up cows milk twice a day for him. My two main reasons for starting to nurse again is for one we took the binky away and he was having an extremely hard time getting to sleep with out being able to suck on
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Why would you want to if she's been weaned?
    Anonymous

• Not at all. My son briefly decided to nurse again when his baby brother was born- he was 25 months. My supply dropped off because of pregnancy, which is why he weaned in the first place.

If they're interested. Go for it!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• My oldest when we were talking about what baby eats. We explained about breast feeding. She asked if she could to. I told her i will pump and give her some in a cup. I do not want it to be come an issue with the two. Wanting to breat feed at the same time. Since she is weened and can drink out of a cup I see nothing wrong in pumping and letting her drink it. It has all the good stuff for her.
    Anonymous

• Because i'm pregnant, and I have the urge to do it. She's been sick, I'm thinking maybe it will help her and give her some extra nutrients her body may need. For some reason, I've really been having the want to do it again.
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Conti.... somthing so this was a way to ease things to get him to sleep. The other reason is because I had a huge feeling that once baby was here that he would want to start nursing again cause hes very close to me and thats the greates bond between mother and child but I was afraid without the binky he would have lost his sucking reflux. I had women on here tell me how sick I was and so on and so on but that kind of bothered me that any mom on here would think of nursing like that. My son is only three not 10 or 15 lol so they need some help in my opinion. You do what you want to dont let anyone tell you otherwise. I think thats great that your open to the idea but I have to admit my son was wanting to use me like a pacifier so I had to set the nap time and bed time only rule because once our little girl gets here I wont be able to nurse him when ever he wants so its better for me to set that now untill wait till shes here.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Conti... Technically your supposed to let them learn to self soothe on there own but I know he can children just want that special bond with mom and its one thing that comforts them the most so thats where I stand on that. They wont always be little :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• If she wants to nurse it won't hurt her at all. My second child nursed until he was almost 3. My third child nursed until the day before I delievered my fourth child. He was a little over 2yrs.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Uhhh, she is getting pretty much grown up now and if she has been weaned, why go through it all again? Pretty soon she will be in preschool, then kindergarten. I know it is hard to let go, but she can't be a baby forever. I felt sad when mine started growing up too. Good luck!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• If she wants to and you're comfortable with it, there is zero harm. She will eventually lose all interest, these early years fly by SO FAST.It's such a short time in the scheme of things! It's totally normal for a 23 mo to continue nursing, or to want to nurse again.

My second child went through a period of time after having been weaned for a year where she wanted to nurse again (she was older than your child is) - I felt that it was important to her and it was something I didn't mind doing... so she nursed again for a little while and then she stopped again. Weaning isn't a sudden thing, and it's also not necessarily a linear process - it might involve taking breaks from nursing for a while and then coming back to it occasionally... until finally the need is gone.

I have tandem nursed (toddler and a baby at the same time) and it really is very rewarding, and is a great option if it works out that way for you!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2010