Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I in in desperate need of advice!! Help quick!

My husband told me last night he doesn't want to live. He said most days he hasn't got the will to live, but when he thinks of our kids he "cannot go thru with it". He is on medication but doesn't take it most days

He has no psych, his primary care doctor writes his perscription. I have no idea what to do or who to ask for help. I am not able to stay home and watch him all day,

What do I do? Who do I call, who can help us??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • In our town there is a Crisis Line. Look on and see if your area has one or call the local hospital and ask to speak to a mental health nurse and ask what to do.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • I looked it up in our phone book and our's is under CRISIS LINE in the white pages. Crisis Intervention programs are in our yellow pages.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • If he is willing, I'd take him to the hospital that has a mental health ward. He can sign himself in or if he's threatening to harm himself you can have him Baker Acted.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • I should call your local Crisis Line or Suicide Hotline. Your insurance nurse may be able to give you some answers. He made need to go to a mental hospital for a short time to be able to speak with therapists and get the help and medication he needs. Some places allow you to place him in the hospital on a suicide watch as his spouse and they will do evaluations during that time. I know it's hard, but it's more important for you to push or force him to get the help he needs than it is to wait and hope he does nothing.

    Answer by CJM_SHM at 1:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • He is NOT willing. I am scared to death. I'll be calling a crisis hotline for sure. I will not do "nothing" for sure!! But if I push him too hard I am afraid what THAT will cause him to do. I'll call a hotline and get their advice.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

  • I have a friend who recently went through this and she tormented herself until she called the police and had him taken in. They have to keep them 72 hours and then decide if they can get out without harming themselves or others. Her dh was released and he's much better. He just needed that guidance to get the help he needed but wouldn't get for himself. I know you will do what's right for you and your family.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2010


    call 911, and let him tell them......OR you.

    They, will take him and he will have NO CHOICE !!!!!!!

    That is what I did.

    It may hurt, and he maybe upset........

    Sometimes, you have TO PROTECT THEM, and JUST LET THEM BE MAD .......

    Answer by SissyAnn141 at 12:09 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

  • I would call suicide hot-line, when he gets in those moods, and say "He is scarying me "

    That way, it is documented, and has a paper tail.... which is VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!

    Answer by SissyAnn141 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.