levitical laws, sexual sins... why listen to most... except one in particular?

In Leviticus 18 God discusses sexual sins, including but not limited to:
6-you must never have sexual relations with your close relatives.
7-you must not shame your father by having sexual relations with your mother....
23-you must not have sexual relations with an animal...
(read it for yourself)

I have to ask... do you consider those sick and wrong... "sin" nowadays, not just then? I would assume yes...
So then why do we exclude vs. 22-do not have sexual relations with a man as you would a woman. that is a hateful sin. ?

yes, many levitical laws are out of practice because they were specifically said not to matter, etc. But these weren't. Paul only reiterates that this is wrong.
So I just want to know... how is it the bible doesn't say it is a sin?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It may be a sin, but these are God's laws, not man's.

And there's debate about the scripture in Corinthians because the root word actually used has multiple meanings, so Paul may or may not have been referring to homosexuality. We can't be sure. He could've been referring to male prostitution or any premarital sexual activity.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• My bible was translated using greek and hebrew texts and 50 scholars... the version I have was... so I think they should be pretty on key. I think that if it could have been either one of those they would have put them all or as other translations in the footnotes just like other things with other means or whatever that are listed. Why that ONE thing that isn't used. And, since it wasn't specifically said "oh this no longer matters" i take that to mean it still does... just like other laws in the OT that weren't cut.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• no they're mans laws...i believe i God. i believe God is pure love. I believe that the bible is a book of fairy tales that were put together to manipulate ppls beliefs....there is no such thing as sin, you can do something to harm someone else or yourself and that is wrong but homosexual sex, premarital sex, masturbation...none of these harm anyone and therefore are not wrong
    Anonymous

• in God*
    Anonymous

• Missbreezy, I'm sure you think your version is correct - but it doesn't stop it from being one of how many different translations? And when was this translation done? Additionaly, it doesn't change that the original term used in the actual scripture has multiple meanings, the term is "arsenokoite".

So who translated your bible is moot, it doesn't change the fact that the original word used by Paul has multiple meanings and therefore EVERY translation is merely a stab in the dark at which meaning he was attempting to convey.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• There are many places in the Bible that speak against homosexuality. God loves everyone. But he hates all sin. Homosexuality is a sin. That is my opinion. Please don't kill me for it.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• where?
    Anonymous

• m2KnL, I know what the dead sea scrolls are. Doesn't change the fact that the original word used in that verse had multiple meanings and still doesn't negate the point I made that no one knows which definition Paul was going for.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• This is all aside from PAUL... that was an afterthought. Its just the fact it was never negated, and why apply all those other laws in that chapter and not that ONE? in LEVITICUS
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Ummm; weren't those OT laws? And didn't Jesus' death mean we didn't have to adhere to those laws anymore? Isn't that what his whole death was about; fulfilling that contract?

"Leviticus is largely a code book, a book of regulations. If any book of the Old Testament could be called a “book of the law” surely the Book of Leviticus is such. The book is filled with regulations."

Anonymous