Mary of Magdala

Why is it people assume that the woman caught in the act of adultry was Mary of Magdala? I've read the New Testement many times and never saw the corilation between the two. From what I understand Mary of Magdala was a wealthy woman in her own right and helped support Jesus's ministry financialy. Any ideas?

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 2:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I read the Bible too but I'm ashamed to say I don't have an answer to that. Maybe your pastor would have an answer.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 2:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• hmm.. i never actually read the entire bible so i can't comment, but it's an interesting thing to research & bring up to the pastor.
    Anonymous

• People think that because way back when a Pope (sorry I can't remember which one) said that Mary Magdalene and the woman caught in adultery were the same person because apparently they appear close to each other in the text he was reading. There is no real connection between the two; in fact, I cannot find a section in the NASB where they are mentioned very near each other. Maybe it is different with another translation, though.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I should know the answer. But am drawing a blank. I know Mary was in a bad place. And that Jesus helped bring her to the greener side of the fence.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Because the men in charge wanted it taught that way. They were afraid of the power & ideas of individuality Mary's story might give the women of their time.

Why do you think her testament was not included in the bible with the other apostles? It has been suggested she traveled with them for a good amount of time; but *gasp* that's just not "moral" for a woman to travel alone with men like that.

Do some digging; find the 'book' she wrote and read it - very interesting...
    Anonymous

• I actually did read the "The Gospel of Mary". It is included in the Nag Hammandi library. Although I can't agree with that account either it bugs me that people continue to bring down women using Mary as an example. In fact several woman traveled with Jesus as well as other men and children. The twelve were actually the closest to Jesus even though he had many followers.

CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 6:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Mary Magdalene was not the one caught in adultery - she was the one who had the demons cast out of her. If i get a chance i'll post the bible verse.
    Anonymous

• Luke 8:2 along with some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases. Among them were Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons;

also in Mark 16:9
    Anonymous

• Its been awhile so I must have missed that. Thank you so much. It is interesting the way the bible is constantly misread. Even by me LOL. Thanks again for the scripture ref.
    CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 6:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Anon, Gospel According to Mary was written a great deal of time after Jesus' death, unlike the other gospels. The biblical scholars did not find it as releveant because the historical references were contradictory to events of the time (according to acrcaheology as well) also unlike the other gospels. The manner of writing contradicted teachings that the other gospels did not. In other words, the validity was in question.
    Anonymous