Why do some people think only Native Americans "belong" here?

This is usually brought up during immigration discussions. Those known as "Native Americans" didn't just sprout up here. They came from somewhere else just as all immigrants do.

What is a Native American to you? Personally, I consider myself a "native" American because I was born and raised here. By definition that makes me a "native."

Don't you think things get even more complicated because so many have "mixed" blood? My great-grandmother was full blooded Cherokee Indian, yet I don't consider myself this type of native American.

When will ALL people simply become American?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 2:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe that all people who are natural citizens of the United States are Americans. Being born in the U.S. makes one a native American. As for the indians, they were here first, so they are the ORIGINAL native Americans. I think you are being a little too sensitive about this.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Hey im with you there.We should drop the hyphenated mess.If one was born here or immigrated (and are legal citizens) then they are an American.Another thing i'd like to say is this mess of immigrating here and putting the flag of the country one left above our American flag has to end..it has to stop.I am saddened and appalled by it myself.We have even had cases where apartment managers,fire department leaders and others have discouraged the flying of the American flag OUR FLAG! How sick is that?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I forgot to add ..their reasoning for discouraging it? It might offend someone! psssh give me a break..if our flag is offensive flying in our damn country to anyone then just maybe they do not belong here!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Anyone born in North, Central, or South America are native Americans.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Native American is a pc term created to replace "indian" in referring to the original inhabitants of the American continent-north, central, and south. The reason it is used in the immigration debates is to poke back at those who say "they are coming here illegally so they should go back where they came from", as the original European settlers in essence came here illegally and simply appropriated the land they needed; the people saying only "Native Americans" and their descendants have the right to be here are putting the shoe on the other foot as it were, to make the original speaker think about their bigoted words. It is also an expression of frustration, as historically, the original inhabitants and their descendants have often gotten the short end of the stick in dealings with those who colonised the continent. My husband has used that statement before, and it usually ends the discussion and makes people think.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• ladybug that was yourspecial with the GG who was full Cherokee..I can see where confusion may of came though we both have the same avatar..it's cool lol
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• sorry tn. lol forgive me I am watching the travel channel and trying not to put my talkative 4yr old out on the front porch for not leaving her mum alone.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Honestly I believe people love to embrace their heritage by not for getting their family origins and for some that means adding the hyphenation; doesn't mean they're not proud or even embracing the fact that they are American they are just having the best of both worlds. It's like when I married my husband. I love him deeply but I also cherish my father and the gift he bestowed upon me when I was born - his last name. I love my husband and was proud to take his name but I (personally) felt like I was turning my back on the name my father passed down to me and that I lived with for 25 yrs. Both my husband and I thought why not carry on both names? So, I did! Yes my new last name is hyphenated and it's now 17 letters long but I love them both equally.

Like you TN my great grand mum was a full blooded Black Foot, I don't consider myself a Native but I'm a descendent of that culture too not to mention several others(mutt).
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• So just curious about that argument.....do those who want to make that (silly) distinction want to then say that the rest of us are still part of England? But wait...THAT doesnt work because MY family immigrated from Germany and Spain AFTER the civil war.....soooooooo what does that make me? Hmmmm.....its just silly. Besides to the victor go the spoils. Thats how it works. If the revolutionary war had turned out differently there would be a pretty lady on our currency and we would be singing God Save the Queen! As far as the immigration issue goes in regards to the Indians....NOT being able to control and protect their borders is what caused them to have their land overtaken and lost to them. THAT should be a cautionary tale for us! These illegals may not be coming in with guns and warships but their ability to undercut and drain our resources is no less prevelent!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I think the term "Native American" is used because there really isn't another PC term for the "indians" that were here long before the Anglo Saxons, Africans, and other immigrants. I consider myself a native American since I am born here (as well as several generations back). I just don't consider myself "Native American" in that context.

"African American" is also the PC term for black people even though it's not really completely accurate. I don't call myself Euro-American because I have ancestors from there. Plus, not all black people are directly from Africa. Some black people in America are from the Carribbean or even Europe, too. I would get frustrated if people called me African American when I'm not from Africa!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2010