Breastfeeding issue!!!!!!! 2 Questions.

I just had my baby 2 weeks ago.  I have had a very large supply of breast milk so she doesn't feed very long. She's gaining weight fine, so she's feeding enough and she is strictly BF.  I pumped 3x in the last 2 weeks and now I realize I should have pumped much more.  The first few times I would get atleast 150 - 180 ml from both breasts. Now I only get 100ml from both breasts b/c she doesn't eat often enough for the supply to stay as large as it was.  If I start to pump regularly after each of her feeds now should my supply go back up or is it just stuck where it is?  I'm hoping to build my supply back up - any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your supply is fine. You over produce in the beginning until your body levels out. Breast pumps aren't as efficient as babies at getting milk out. Your baby is getting plenty. There is no need to pump at all at this point unless you work and will be feeding bottles while you're out. Just BF on demand and your supply will stay right where your baby needs it to be. You will never be as firm or be able to pump as much as you did the first 2 weeks...that's normal.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• What ThrivingMom said. You're fine. Don't worry.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 2:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Your supply is fine, in fact more than fine as average pump output should be around1-2 ounces max. That's both sides together. As long as the baby is making at least 6-8 wet/dirty diapers in 24 hours, you are making enough milk and the baby is getting enough. Is there a reason you need to pump? If it isn't necessary, don't. Just nurse on demand and get used to having your baby. 2 weeks is usually when supply begins to regulate, so you may notice that pump output goes down a little more. It's nothing to worry about.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Ditto what others said! You're doing great.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• if you wanted to pump an extra stash you can up your supply by pumping more it will go up.
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 6:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Your body produces breastmilk on a supply/demand basis. At first you get oversupply then it levels out. Then when it's time for a growth spurt you baby will nurse a lot and supply will increase and they'll go back to nursing normally... so if you pump after each feeding yes, your supply should increase because you're sending your body the message that it needs to produce more. Just be sure you're also drinking plenty of water.
    Is there a reason why you need your supply to go up? Are you trying to store up a bunch of breastmilk or something? If not then dont worry about it. Pumps are not accurate measure of how much milk is in your breasts because they are not as effective at getting the milk out as a baby is. As long as your baby is growing well and producing an adequate number of wet/poopy diapers a day there's no reason to be concerned about supply.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Thank you everyone - they were all excellent answers & helped to put my mind at ease. I'm storing only a little bit now because I also would like my husband to feel like he's helping out. I will still strictly breastfeed but once a day after she is 5 weeks old he's going to give her a bottle - if she takes to it. That's why I have only pumped a few times and just in case of emergencies. Thank you all so much again :)
    Lori43bg

Answer by Lori43bg at 7:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• The more you pump or feed, the more your body will produce.
    K-e-r-i

Answer by K-e-r-i at 8:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• It's also very normal for your supply to go up and down. I remember I had maybe two or so occasions when I thought my supply had vanished but it came back within a day or two. The pump doesn't get as much milk out as the baby would have so it's not a good indicator of your supply. If your baby is nursing regularly and seems satisfied after a feeding then you are doing just fine. I nursed on demand for 13 months. It's a roller coaster at first but you'll get into the swing of it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2010