My 14 year old is over 6ft tall and hates it!

His self esteem went to the ground after coming back from his first social at school. He did dance and had fun, but told me later how he really didn't have fun, he basically faked it. Told him how I understand how he must feel but it won't last long....etc...just saying all positive things to try to make him feel better but it just got worse since he tells me I am saying all this because I'm his mom.
Any good books or something I can tell him to help him?

SusanL1955

Asked by SusanL1955 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Take him to the local community college basketball game. Maybe he could meet some of the TALL players. ;)

I am serious! At his age its hard when you stand out for a physical reason, but sometimes those different physical things are the things that make us GREAT!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• My 13 year old is 6 ft and loves it. So I am surprised this bothers a boy. You would think if he was shorter then the rest it would bother him. Get him invovled in sports.
    Anonymous

• Have him play basketball! LOL seriously. Coaches love tall players.
    My brother is almost 7 foot and was starter thru Jr high and high school.
    Now he is joining the marines.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Get him involved in basketball where his height will be a plus and athletic guys always get the girl. Point out to him the good side of his height it will someday be a plus to hang in there for now until his peers catch up with him.

Answer by older at 3:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Why do people immediately say "get him into sports"? Some kids don't like sports, and if he does, he'd probably already be participating in them considering his age.

Have you asked him why being taller bothers him so much? I mean, his other classmates CAN'T be that far behind him.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all your answers but he is in sports, he's the freshman quarterback and just finished wrestling. He doesn't like basketball all that much.  It really hit him hard last night when at the social, he just towered over everyone. Dancing with the girls was a bit uncomfortable and a few actually told him no that he was too tall. I know he'll love this later, but it was just so sad to hear him talk the way he did about having to fake having a good time. We all know how kids can be cruel and the comments some of them make, and having to hear it every two seconds can be a bit bothersome.  Again, thanks for your input.

SusanL1955

Answer by SusanL1955 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Forgot to say why it bothered him so much, this is a little funny, not to him but...when everyone was on the dance floor and jumping up and down with the music, he said, "mom, really, I'm already the tallest one in the place so I couldn't even jump up without feeling even taller than I already am". Ahhhh.
    What's so crazy is that he's very popular with both guys and girls and I just couldn't believe he came home feeling so awakward, and hating his height. Just found out that one girl didn't want to dance with him because he was too tall. One...out of all those girls. I think boys are acutally more sensitive than we are.
    SusanL1955

Answer by SusanL1955 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• My sister is over 6ft, and she hates it cause she can't find tall guys, so tell him that there are tall beautiful girls out there waiting for him to come along!!!!! lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• sandypops, I told my son just that and how much harder it must be for women who are tall. It was hard to find the balance of telling him it's all going to work out and you better count your blessings that you don't have bigger issues. As of last night, we talked again and he's already out of his funky mood.

Thanks
    SusanL1955

Answer by SusanL1955 at 7:28 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I have a tall family. My "little" brother is 6'4 and growing. Clothes shopping is the thing that gets us down. And everyone asking if we play basketball. Or model.

Mom regularly sends us emails about tall people research. She sent us a study recently about tall people making more money on average than short people. There have been studies on height and job promotion, landing a spouse, being trusted, etc. Google is great on this front. It'll really cheer him up.

I'm certain my little girl is going to be a giant too. I was 5'7 by age 12. DH is tall. So, I plan to have an arsenal of uplifting articles for school dances and other puberty related craziness.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2010