Toyota Hybrid Horror a Hoax?

Where to begin?

Well, the patrol car didn't slow down the Prius; the bumpers never touched. The officers used a loudspeaker to tell Sikes to use the brakes and emergency brake together. He did; the car slowed to about 55 mph. Sikes turned off the engine and coasted to a halt. He stopped the car on his own.

There wasn't anything wrong with the transmission or the Prius engine button either.

Over a 23-minute period the 911 dispatcher repeatedly pleaded with Sikes to shift into neutral. He simply refused and then essentially stopped talking to her except to say that he thought he could smell his brakes burning.

So why did he do it? Sleuth work at the Web sites Jalopnik.com and Gawker.com reveals that Sikes and his wife Patty in 2008 filed for bankruptcy and are over $700,000 in debt. Among their creditors is Toyota Financial Services for a lease on a 2008 Toyota Prius, with value at time of bankruptcy of $20,494.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yeah, I saw that. He's, what, $700,00 in debt.He's several payments behind on the Prius he was driving. It didn't take long for the opportunist to find their way into the light did it?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Anonymous

• I dont know. If its the one I think it is where they played the 911 call.....that man SOUNDED petrified! He could have been a good actor. But I mean if my car was going that out of control that fast I dont know that I would be rational either! But then the $$$ thing DOES make me suspicious!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I read the whole article. Independent studies show that his claims of being unable to slow down are very suspicious. And he admits to never even TRYING to put it into neutral, even though the police dispatch told him over and over to do so.

I found the whole thing very suspicious, even before I read the article. It didn't jive with what I know about cars, especially Toyotas. I own one of the recalled Toyotas, and putting it in neutral is a simple thing and would have slowed the car immediately.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Anonymous

• all he had to do was kill the engine....I can understand being in a situation that could potentially be very harmful...however if you have enough rationalization to call 911 then by golly do what they tell you to do and better yet do everything in your power to shut the car down...its not a car malfunction, its a people malfunction....lol

granted I'm sure the car probably has issues..
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• HOAX!!!

I would be interested to know WHEN he purchased his Prius (before or after the news broke about the faulty accelerator)--since he still owed $19,000 on it, and if he purchased it SOLELY to create a hoax situation to earn himself a legal settlement--which seems to be his modus operandi!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Huge hoax, and he is hoping to cash in.  Too bad he scared the crap out of people in the meantime. 

MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 7:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Maybe and I'm sure there are many who will try and get something out of this class action lawsuit. Really, all you need to do is put your car in neutral and apply the brakes. What these people need is an education.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• totally a hoax.. the whole thing with toyotas recalls is a hoax. i own 2 and love them!
    Anonymous