My 10 month old is not putting herself in a sitting position and only "army crawls"... should I be worried?

Hey ladies... I really should know better but.... never had this issue with my other 3.... My #4 baby will be 10 months old on the 15th of this month... for the last 2 months or so she has been "Army Crawling" and is quite fast! however.... she doesn't put herself into a sitting position...she'll prop up on her side but that's it. She is a good sitter if you sit her down yourself but once she tumbles forward to start army crawling.... she can't get back to sitting. This past week she has been trying really super hard to pull up on things and pulls her chest up quite high but doesn't quite understand she needs to move her knees under her. Dr. said he isn't concerned and that he's sure she will do it in her own time... but I just can't help but worry just a little bit. Has/is anyone going through this as well? Guess I just wanted to make sure I'm not alone and I'm just worrying about nothing........

kymberlia

Asked by kymberlia at 4:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you discussed this with your pediatrician? All kids are different, which I'm sure you are aware of. Call and find out if her development is in the normal range.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Will she use her arms for other activities or does there seem to be some weakness there? The army crawl thing is fine,and sitting and pulling up take practice and coordination that some kids take a little longer to accomplish. I'd start to worry around the year mark if this persists. i don't know whether to tell you to trust your gut,or to say you're just a skittish momma! Just keep an eye on it.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• It is perfectly fine, sitting themselves up is complicated for them to really understand until they do it once on their own and figure out their way. Crawling is not considered a developmental milestone anyways, as long as she can sit unsupported and roll over and has some form of locomotion she is fine, she will likely just skip the hard stuff and start to walk since it comes to human more naturally anyway. Good luck and no worries.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• This sounds fine. On my list of developmental concerns, it is a concern if baby is not crawling by 12 months old. Will she stand (bear weight on her legs) when you are holding her hands? If she is army crawling and bearing wt on her legs, standing while holding on to things then it is probably not a concern.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• my daughter would just put her but in the air while stretching her legs out (making a upside down v shape) +-now she leaps in stead of crawl . She hops all over the house. I think the all learn how to crawl different ways. I wouldnt worry a bit.
    Anonymous