To those who know about autism symptoms.....

Does this sound like ASD to you? Couldn't hold head up til 6 mo old,couldn't sit up on own til a year,walked 1st time at 17 mo,is now 5 and a half and has speech pattern of a 15 mo old,still not potty trained,nor is close to it,severe temper tantrums,very clumsy,hits,screams when change in routine,limited eye contact,stomps feet and throws himself when mad,has a GAH sound when speaking for C words,like GAHT for cat,most words are unintelligible.His parents think he has a "speech delay" only.He is in his 3rd year of Early Childhood and the only strides I've seen is in his classroom attentiveness,and use of a visual chart to get his needs known. This is my nephew by the way. My son has classic autism,so I know most of the symptoms,but I'm not sure what to label this behavior as.His parents are in total denial of their son's situation. I don't think he's gotten a diagnosis yet per se.

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I worked as a child development consultant for many years and this does not sound like autism - sounds like there are some cognitive and overall developmental delays but he would have to be observed and assessed. Word of Caution: I know you mean well, but parents of children on the spectrum, similar to parents with children with AD(H)D, tend to see warning signs in other children they are familiar with - this is a natural response to a personal experience. But the behavioural symptoms you are familiar with in autism are quite common in children who have a variety of developmental disorders or delays. For example, it is quite common for young children to line up and sort their toys in a particular fashion - this does not mean they have Autism. If they tend to do this sort of play EXCLUSIVELy and obsessively, well then, you may have a red flag. Autism involves BOTH Social and Communication areas of development ALWAYS.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 6:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Well he needs to see some kind of specialist. And they need to wake up. You need to talk to them. Tell them you know they love their son and wish that there was nothing going on, and you feel the same way...but pushing it away and acting like there's not a problem, when there is, is not what's best for their son. They need to think about him and what's important for him so that he can get the help and support that he needs, as well as them getting support. Good luck, and I hope everything turns out okay...because he does not sound like an average 5yr old.
    Anonymous

• I just read the first poster's response and I would have to disagree. Family members are not the best people to broach this subject - teachers and medical professionals familiar with the child are. They can approach it from a development and best interest of the child's academic future perspective and do not have the emotional history that family members have. They are also more familiar with the stages of grief and denial that parents experience and tend to be more sensitive to this. In my work, we would often take up to 6 months with a family to get them to the diagnosis stage and develop an understanding about their child's particular learning needs. Professionals also know what resources are available and can quickly hook parents into supports & services. If the child is already in school, my hunch is the teacher is already well aware that something is going on. The family just may not want to share it with you...
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 6:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• i spoke to his teacher one day and told her of his parent's denial and she agreed that they kept themselves in pretend nothings wrong land.His teacher is my son's former teacher. She hinted at a cognitive disorder with autistic tendencies. I fear they will be quite upset this fall because he is not going into reg ed but will probably have to be solely in the cognitive classroom at least for awhile.They are thinking that he will be mainstreamed and this just isn't so.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• We've tried to be open with our experiences with the schooling and IEP to get them to open up.They're just so lackluster in their concern. I fear if they don't buck up,he will fall by the wayside as he grows.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• The longer they are in denial the harder it's going to hit them like a ton of bricks. I do have special needs son. I had him at his 12 mo. well baby, and the physician told me he was dev. delayed. That we would be contacted by a social worker. Things went very fast. We are military, and had just moved from home to Hawaii, away from all family. It was hard, but we went through it. Parents have to deal with this kind of thing whether they want to or not. If they don't, their child will be lost. Whether it is family or professionals that intervene, someone needs to. And from the sounds of it, they are in denial, and will be in denial no matter who speaks with them about it. I have another son with ADHD and Aspbergers. These things are in no way fun to deal with. It's not easy. But you have to find a way. There are support groups, therapies, any number of resources out there that the schools and doctors can set the family up cont
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• with, but they can't do that if the parents won't face the fact that something is different with their child. And that doesn't mean that something is 'wrong' with their child. They are the best advocate for their child. They love their child better than anyone else can.
    It might not be autism, it might be. But what ever it is, he is still their son. And they can not change the way he is. They are the one's that have to adjust. And I can tell you, my oldest son is 13, and we still do not have a diagnosis. We will probably never have one. I go through spells where I am ok with that, and where I am not. I blame myself, and I don't. He has global delays. He has seen 3 peds neurologists, the last one at Johns Hopkins. My son has been tested for everything they can think of, and they do not know what happened. It is devastating. But you find a way to deal because you have to. I don't know why I have told you any of this, IDK if it
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• will help. But they do need to realize that something is different, and if they ignore it, it will not go away. It is obviously getting to you, and if you can't leave it be, then don't. I wouldn't.
    Raine2001