US Maternal Care behind at least 40 other countries World Wide.

"Good maternal care should not be considered a luxury available only to those who can access the best hospitals and the best doctors. Women should not die in the richest country on earth from preventable complications and emergencies," Cox said in a news release.

The report, "Deadly Delivery: The Maternal Health Care Crisis in the USA," notes that the lifetime risk of maternal deaths is greater in the United States than in 40 other countries, including virtually all industrialized nations.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/12/maternal.mortality/index.html?iref=werecommend

You know what? I think this is CRAP! I think that Amnesty Int'l should take into consideration that almost every state has medical assistance for low income pregnant women.

IF THEY CHOOSE NOT TO SEEK CARE; THEN IT'S THEIR OWN FAULT.
What do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sure if you are very low income you have access to medical care through the gov't. But is it the same care as those with good insurance? I don't know that it is. We also have such a high rate of medical intervention such as inducing and c-sections which probably raises the risks compared to other countries. I think it would be wise for us to really know the facts of WHY the desparity exists...not just assume its because people don't seek the help.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I think we need to lock them in a small room for a week with all the pro-doula/midwife/unassisted natural homebirth women and see who comes out alive at the end of the week.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• MamaChamp - you do raise good points. Unnecessary C-sections and inductions do raise those #'s. And perhaps not in every state; but where I live; you get a medicaid card and go see whatever OBGYN you want that accepts Medicaid. It isn't like you're in some dirty dinky exam room at the back of a community clinic with no equipment etc...I know in some of the bigger cities; that might actually be the reality and the care may be substandard; but any care is better than no care.

There are many illegal immigrants in this area who avoid pre-natal care because they're afraid of being turned into immigration. So they just wait til labor begins to see a Dr for the first time!!
    Anonymous

• Even if an insured mother sees the same doctor a gov't assisted mom sees they are not guaranteed the same service. If you do research on the difference in elderly care and also minority patients you'll see that care is unfortunately not always the same. Doctors are humans and unfortunately some do have their prejudices when it comes to economics too. And insurance pays the doctor more than the gov't. This could be effecting those American numbers....along with ALL the other possible reasons. I guarantee there are MANY..including immigrant status issues.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• OP~ It is not from a LACK of care. It is from very, very poor care... Just like any other service, just because it costs more does NOT mean that it is better.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Thats true ObbyDobbie. I'd say its a combination of lack and poor.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:49 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Why do you think that the US has the highest c-section rate in the industrialize world?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• First of all, I question where the numbers came from. If you are talking about WHO, they have no standard when asking countries to report things. Standards vary from country to country.

Second of all, I believe the reason for the higher mortality rate is because doctors aren't always in charge of their decisions. I almost died because my military Tricare doctor refused to do a c-section because she was at 28%. I was in labor for 3.5 days and had more than a thousand stitches to repair the damage done as that baby was literally PULLED out of me. My body had other damage in addition to this and it took me more than a year to recover.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• The article referenced Amnesty International. I don't know where they got their data.
    Anonymous

• Sure if you are very low income you have access to medical care through the gov't. But is it the same care as those with good insurance?

Yes, I had my pick of Drs and hospitals when I had medicaid in high school when pregnant with my son. I had him at OU medical. Alos, got to pick a really good Dr at a clinic for his Pedi.

I agree OP if they don't want to seek it it isn't anyones fault but their own. I can't tell you how many here refuse to see Drs or anything because " they don't know what they are talking about"

I am sorry but IF something happens that is their fault noone elses.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2010