Has your church/institution/fill in the blank/ ever gone to court to fight for its rights?

Please share.....

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 5:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses. We have been in court many times all over the world. Right now we have a case pending in France in their Supreme Court.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Many times my friend. Jews have to fight every day for their rights, and they jump in to fight for the rights of others.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Yes. Don't know if you remember the case about the Atheist soldier that was killed and they wouldn't allow the symbol to be put on his gravestone. I believe that was what the case was about...but there have been other times that Atheists have had to fight for their rights. I will look that case up, just to be sure i got it right!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Yes, widow of a Wiccan soldier had to fight the VA to get a pentacle marker put on his grave. It was a huge battle but she won his rights for him. How sad is it when a warrior gave his life in service for his country and his country didn't want to give him a marker that was in symbol of his religion.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Found this interesting story:
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/08/atheist.soldier/index.html(Sorry I don't know how to do a link thingy:(

It's about a soldier who declared himself an ATheist while at war. Which cost him his military career and his life was threatened while still at war. Some quotes:
    "He also said he missed out on promotions because he is an atheist.

"I was told because I can't put my personal beliefs aside and pray with troops I wouldn't make a good leader," Hall said.

Michael Weinstein, a retired senior Air Force officer and founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, is suing along with Hall. Weinstein said he's been contacted by more than 8,000 members of the military, almost all of them complaining of pressure to embrace evangelical Christianity.

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• "Yes, widow of a Wiccan soldier had to fight the VA to get a pentacle marker put on his grave. It was a huge battle but she won his rights for him. How sad is it when a warrior gave his life in service for his country and his country didn't want to give him a marker that was in symbol of his religion.
    "

Thats right, he was Wiccan not an Atheist! I confused my stories. I knew there was one like that though!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Is there a petition to sign sahmamax2? I will sign it, I am a vet.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Oh LOLOL no worries sahmama.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I signed that petition back then and I protested as well....WOOT we won that one.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Yes, and individuals of our denom go to court regular for the right to have Sabbaths(Saturdays) off from work under Title 7.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2010