2 year old seems to vomit for fun???

My youngest son (he's 2), I think, is going through this phase where he vomits on cue. (Except, I can't figure out what is exactly cueing him to do so) He was sick about 2 months ago with an actual flu. After he got better he continued to throw up when he was presented with something he didn't want to eat. For example, I would put a vegetable in front of him that I wanted him to try (he's a VERY picky eater anyway) and he would start heaving until he actually made himself throw up because he wouldn't want to eat what I gave him, or so it seemed. This evening, he threw up on his way to the table because I guess he didn't want to eat at all, even though it was food he likes. I gave him a bath and then he vomited all over right after he was clean and dressed. That seemed like it was for fun. I am so frustrated, I don't know what to do with myself. Anyone ever experience anything like this? And what do I do?!

iluvmommyhood58

Asked by iluvmommyhood58 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmm. I would check it out with the doctor. How do you handle it when he does this? What do you say to him?
    Anonymous

• You really need to talk to your doctor about it. Doesn't sound normal. My kids have never puked unless they were sick.
    Anonymous

• I'd take him to the doctor and if the doctor found no medical reason for him to be doing this, he'd get his butt blistered.
    Anonymous

• My BFF's little boy did this. It started at about 16 months. He's 22 months now. He's over it. He would shove his hand down his throat if he couldn't produce fast enough.

She would just clean him up and then make him lie down. "Sick boys need a nap," she'd tell him. He HATES naps. So then being sick wasn't fun. He'd try to convince her he wasn't sick anymore so he didn't have to take a nap.

Don't let DH laugh at him. And if he has to miss dinner because he's "sick" then save his plate for when he "feels better."
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I'd make sure that there is nothing medically wrong with him. After that I'd not let him do any of the things he enjoys. I'd say "oh if you are sick then we can't go to the park, sick little boys need to stay home and rest." And so on like that until he gets the point that if he is sick he can't do fun stuff.
    Anonymous

• my little sister use to do this when we were kids but she did it for attention
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 10:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2010