Beauty Pageants

Am I the only one that things child beauty pageants are disgusting? I mean you take an innocent child and slather them with makeup, hairspray, fake tans and teeth and then put them in skimpy little over the top outfits and parade them around. I've seen documentaries on these things and majority of the time the little girls look miserable and are crying and saying they don't want to do it and everytime their moms have some excuse like "oh shes just tired" or "shes just having a bad day, she enjoys it every other time" Ugh, What possesses you to do that to your child? Didn't anyone learn from JonBenét Ramsey? It just seems to me like these kids get forced into it by mothers who want to live through their children.

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm sure it's the mom's choice, children usually start out too young to know any different. I never put my girls in a pagent but I know at least one personally who later became Miss Pennsylvania and as an adult she doesn't see anything wrong with what her mom did.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I dislike them a lot!!! But the parents who put their kids in these things seem incredibly doting...which is better than mistreating them.

I guess there could be worse things, but my dd will never be in one. Not unless she asked me to be. And we will not be spending 1000's of dollars for a dress that is crazy!!! And no make up or false teeth...even crazier!!!! lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I don't think it's a good idea. I've known girls who have just been told "you're so pretty!" their whole lives, and never "you're so smart!' "you're doing a great job!"...and these girls now know nothing but how to be pretty.
    I think if you want to groom and show something...buy a poodle. Let your kids just be kids.

StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 9:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I never really saw a problem with the Little Miss My County Fair kind of pageants.........but if they lead to the kind of stuff that they show on TV, I'm not sure I feel the same way anymore. The pageants where you have to spend scads of money, and dress the kid up like a mini-Miss America are just horrible, I would never put my dd in that kind of life. My kids will be kids and have a childhood of catching fire-flies, playing in the park, riding a bike, building snowmen, baking cookies, etc. NOT learning a new dance routine every couple months, worrying about her hair & make-up, learning to walk in heels before they get a chance to wear flip-flops, being embarrassed about a lost tooth, etc.
    Anonymous

• Personally I don't like them and would never enter my girls in a pageant. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of focusing so much on looks with young children.... and the hair and makeup is WAY over the top for me. I'm not particularly 'girlie' and neither are my daughters, and I can't imagine making small kids sit through all that hair and makeup and calling it a fun time at the end! I do hair for weddings as a part time job and can tell you that most little girls don't like the time and effort that goes into a fancy hairstyle- trust me, most are not happy campers by the end!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:28 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I would never enter my daughter in a pageant. It costs THOUSANDS upon thousands of dollars to maintain. It's one of the more expensive hobbies out there. I've watched Little Miss Perfect, Toddlers and Tiaras, stuff like that...and the majority of the moms make themselves look like dumbasses. I've seen a few who are mean to their kids. I even saw a little boy on there who had a meltdown during the pageant and his mom got so pissed at him.

It's sad all around. I see nothing wrong with dressing a little girl up and playing pretend and having fun, but doing it for competition and sport? I'm sorry, I have a CHILD, not a thoroughbred ANIMAL.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I not only don't see them as wrong but I see them as a good thing in some ways. Pageants are a great way to build confidence, teach social interaction and the importance of appearance. I don't see an issue with the pageants themselves, but as with any activity, it's how the parents push and behave about it.

I see no difference between a crown hungry pageant mom and a trophy hungry soccer mom... When we, as parents go from supporting & loving to forcing & controlling it's a negative and it makes the entire activity look bad. Being I know a Pageant winner (national level) I know that these kids are at many times doing pageants because they want to and they love to.

If I had girls, I would do them. But if they didn't want to do them, I would quit. Why not? I always wanted to do them as a kid, and my mother wouldn't let me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I do have a problem with pageants themselves and not just because parents misbehave in them - parents misbehave for all sorts of activities. It is the focus on physical appearances that bothers me. To win a trophy just because a child happens to have symmetrically pleasing features, can sway their hips the right way when they walk and can can smile on cue troubles me. Children's talent shows - OK. Let them sing and dance and do whatever without havnig to focus on how they look. Have photography shows where kids can learn how to tke pictures as well as pose for them. Have a Forsenics (Speech) contest where they can recite poems, tell stories, express their opinions if you want them to gain public speaking skills. Any benefits parents claim come from beauty pageants can be obtained in other ways that focus less on looks.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Beauty pageants are a disgusting and perverted way for parents to live through their kids.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• SabrinaMBowen, Do you really want your daughters to think that in order to win in life that they have to be pretty? It teaches the wrong values. It shouldn't be about how beautiful you are, and these little girls are false beauty, its all fake to make them something they are not. I've known girls who's mothers put them in pageants end up with eating disorders and self-esteem issues because they were constantly judging themselfs and how they looked because they wanted to be "perfect". It all starts when your children are little and teaching them things like that can ruin their lives as adults. And as far as the last part of it. You said you would put your daughters in them because your mom never let you do it.. Thats living through your children!
    krisholl2285

Answer by krisholl2285 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2010