if u EBF....

and u arent getting ur period, that means that ur most likely not ovulating right? I'm just curious- I had my baby 8 months ago and I ebf and I haven't gotten a period since before I got pregnant (besides the after birth bleeding which only lasted a week and a half) and i was wondering if that means I can't get pregnant right now or what- I know i still have to be safe and whatnot but I'm just curious..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• be safe everytime if you dont want another
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• We have 2 that are 13 months apart and I was EBF. I didn't have a cycle, nothing, so EBF doesn't mean you won't get pregnant...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• It IS possible to "catch the first egg". You could ovulate before your period returns and concieve. At this point it's a good time to start watching for signs that you are returning to fertility.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• staciandababy- I said that i know I have to be safe still but I am just curious- I didnt say I dont want more because I do- as many as God will give me- but out of curiosity for the sake of learning something new, i just wanted to know are u still ovulating even though there is no period during this time of ebfing

thank u mrs leftlane thats what I wanted to know
    Anonymous

• you ovulate before your period. so you dont need to have a period to ovulate. you can get pregnant while breastfeeding
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• yes you could ovulate and not know it and get preggo before AF even returns. I would def be carful
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 6:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• You could ovulate before your period, but it's not always the case... in the first year of breastfeeding you're a bit more likely to have anovulatory periods (periods with no egg released) and after that more likely to ovulate before you get your first period... but there are no guarantees to either!! I know some women who did get pregnant before they had a period -- but most had at least one period before they were pregnant again (unless they were preventing pregnancy.)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:49 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• You do NOT have to have a period to ovulate - EBF is NOT birth control!

Quoting you OP:
    and u arent getting ur period, that means that ur most likely not ovulating right? - - WRONG, you most likely ARE ovulating, you just don't know you are, which makes it easier to get pregnant if you're not being careful. If you don't want to get pregnant, USE something, every time! If you think you are - you very well could be!
    Anonymous

• everyone is different. so still take precautions. look at The Duggar Family! She was mostly nursing 1 child when getting pregnant with the next.
    I BF until dd was 20mo... I didnt have my first period until her 2nd bday...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I got pregnant with my 3rd before I got my period after my 2nd. I was still breastfeeding him (and was actually on the minipill), but got pregnant anyway.

Answer by missanc at 7:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2010