Anyone Here Own A Female Papillion?

I am thinking about adopting a female Papillion dog. She is 2 years old.

Does anyone here own one or have any stories to share about this breed?

any and all input is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Pets

• We had a male papillion when I was growing up. The only thing with toy breeds is that most of them were bred to be lap-sized guard dogs. Ours was very protective of my mom, so much so that if you walked into the same room as her he would start growling and biting. We are not ones to give up easily on an animal, but we did eventually have to give him away, as he would not stop attacking the rest of the family!
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 9:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• That's a possession problem, StellarJKD. That could have simply been solved by your mom pushing the dog off her lap when he started to growl, and on the floor, making him roll on his back and submit to whomever was near.

As far as the breed goes, just as any other lapdog, you have to watch the "lap" part and make sure the dog is submissive to you when you ask it to be. If you say no, it means no. No hand feeding from the table, no racing out the door, no jumping, etc. If you have young ones, (under 10...) I would say bring her home on a trial if they will let you, and see how things go. Do not get emotionally involved until you are certain she has the right temperament for your family. Don't make excuses for her, "oh, she's so cute! oh, she's so pretty! Oh, I love her little bark, that's so funny!" kinda stuff. For all she knows, she's half shar-pei, half pug. (tried to think of what would make an ugly breed... LOL )
    Anonymous

• Just make sure she fits your family!

GL with your decisions!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2010