when I change my daughter pamper she screams!!

About 2 days ago I noticed she was red and have tiny bumps so i'm assuming she has a diaper rash. when i apply ointment (desitin) she screams so I applied petroluem today and she continues to scream. I bought bigger diapers today thinking I may need to go a size up. Im beginning to wonder if its a diaper rash or not. She has an appt monday evening but I dont want her to be in pain over the weekend. Does this sound like a diaper rash to you?

other info
9 mths old
first time mom

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let her air out for a while without a diaper. I just got over a nasty rash (not a diaper rash!) and it wouldn't heat until I finally let air get to it and it stopped hurting and healed. Before you put the diaper back on her go ahead and apply your diaper rash ointment.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Desitin burns.
    Don't use it.
    Get Butt Paste.
    It works amazingly.
    That's my opinion.
    Anonymous

• yes, Desitin burns. And Vaseline just keeps the skin from breathing...don't use that either.
    The BEST thing for diaper rash is AIR. So make sure she gets plenty of naked butt time and before you put on a diaper fan her dry so she isn't damp.
    Also, consider at least switching to cloth wipes with plain water--use a dab of soap only when necessary. Commercial wipes tend to exacerbate or cause diaper rash because of the chemicals.
    Also consider going cloth diapers or at least finding a scent free more natural disposable diaper (a lot of commercial diapers work TOO well because of chemcials and that can cause a rash)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I alternate butt paste and a&d ointment. Then at bed time I put the a&d on and wait about five mins and put the butt paste on top of that. It usually clears up within a day or two. Sometimes the red bumps can mean a yeast infection on the skin though so if it doesn't clear up within a few days take her back to the doctor and ask about yeast. I definatly wouldn't use desitin though... it just doesn't work very well imo. good luck!
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 9:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Desitin never really worked on my daughter. A&D ointment makes a white cream that helps soothe the redness and burning. My daughter has very sensitive sking and that is what works best on her. I would put it on my daughter at night and by morning, all the red would be gone. But like others have said, it sounds like it is time for some naked baby butt time. It helps out a bunch.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I use Caldesene powder on my dtr. and started because she got a rash. I was against using powder at first, but my parents used it on all 4 of us and it cleared the rash in 48 hours. My pedi ok'd it, too. He actually didn't think they still made it
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 1:41 AM on Mar. 14, 2010