Would you spank your child in public if they refused to stop screaming?

Even if people gave you the evil eye and dirty stares?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No. And I do spank for other things. But I'd take the child home and return either without them or wait till they've calmed down. Spanking won't make a child stop screaming.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• no, i would threaten them and then if they didnt stop i would leave the public area and spank them in the car or somthing
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I don't spank but if I did and did it in public here I'd be arrested. It's illegal in our state. It's called BATTERY on a child.
    Anonymous

• No. Spanking doesn't make a child quiet. Now if we're talking about a teenager, yes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Why not just give them the attention they obvious are wanting from you and if people would stop taking them out when they are hungry, tired or sick, that would be helpful. Parents should be more responsible about planning public outings with children.
    Anonymous

• Heck ya i would! For it to be "Battery" To spank a child is 100% ridiculous. And ppl wonder why now a days kids are so out of control. You can't punish them. Some kids, the whole time out method, just doesn't work. I think there is a fine line, that some ppl cross with spanking, but there shouldn't be a problem with the hand. Belts paddles, yea a bit much, and id never use those, but this is ridiculous
    Anonymous

• So your tellin me you just give in to your child everytime they throw a tantrum. your nuts. That is going to be an out of control child.
    Anonymous

• 9 times out of 10, if my son was screaming in a store it was because he wanted something and i wouldn't buy it for him. He has even put himself on the floor and thrown a temper tantrum. In these cases I just stand there where I can see him and he can see me and just ignore him. I do not give in or give him the attention he wants and after perhaps 5 minutes of screaming (the waiting part SUCKS) he finally realizes that all the screaming and thrashing about doesn't get him a toy or attention and he stops. He RARELY has tantrums now because he knows that no means no and that if he did have a fit, that it would do no good. Spanking him would only make him cry more and frustrate me. I do believe in spanking in certain situations, but I use it ONLY as a last resort. This situation would not be one that spanking would be necessary. Hope this helps
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• No. I would calmly remove her from the situation.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• To anon 659, I think what anon 656 is saying is this: taking a child on an outing while the child is sick, tired or hungry is almost a guarantee that they will have a meltdown in public. She is saying that we moms need to plan accordingly.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2010