Is it worse to die of obesity or anorexia?

I know there is a middle ground, but I'm just curious.. Are you better off dying from the things that come along with obesity, or the things that come along with starving yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Health

• Obesity is generally a slow and painful series of illnesses with long term maintenance: daily blood sugar monitoring, endocrine system failures, cardiovascular disease, etc. Someone can be obese and live 70 years that way. Doctors are very good at repairing things and keeping the body going with these illnesses.

Serious anorexics are gross looking one day then within a few months their organ systems rapidly shut down. A very strict and controlled anorexic can die in a matter of weeks.

I guess it matters whether "better" means slow and steady or rapid. I think it's better to die of old age, but that isn't he question.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Dead is dead. It doesn't matter WHAT you die of. It's not better to die of a heart attack when you're skinny than when you're big, you're dead either way lol. And heart attacks IS what kills most anorexics AND obese people. In fact, heart attacks and strokes are the leading causes of death in America period lol.

So... neither.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I would say obesity. You've at least enjoyed your food instead of stressing over it all your life. And generally anorexia will take you quicker than obesity will (like the 1st post said).
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• i think both are bad because both show you dont know how to do the proper thing,which for both is working out.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Ecodani, you don't call starving yourself and having heart problems, ammenorrhea, bone loss, hair and tooth loss etc a slow steady death? Organs don't shut down all at once, they are in pain for a long time before they die too.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Ati-- I'm saying a person can starve to death much faster than s/he can eat to death. This sounds screwed up, but if one is "really good at being anorexic" then one could die in a matter of days. Ew. Just talking generalizations and what is within the realm of possibilities. I suppose one could eat to the point of internal organ rupture conversely.... this is really just an awful thing in all directions.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Lol, I agree with you there. But most anorexics don't do that, they starve themselves just enough to stay alive but give themselves totally messed up health effects.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• not sure. I've never died of either one so can't tell u
    Anonymous

• Does it matter? Dead is dead... Although if you are too fat your coffin would have to be bigger and more expensive? So I would say starving to death will at least save a few dollars...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2010