What do they drink?

DD drinks mostly water. Sometimes fruit juices. I've never allowed her to drink sodas on a regular basis. She's been given one or two drinks of a soda on rare occasions. (She's 8 btw) Most people who see her think we allow all kinds of crappy food and drinks because she's a pudgy kid. We don't. Like all kids she does get her treats, but not on a regular basis. DD is more than happy to choose water over high sugar or caffeinated drinks.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 6:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD is 2, and she drinks a lot of water, some milk and chocolate milk or juice (watered down) as a "treat". She has never had soda or anything else. I am VERY scared she'll end up overweight like me, so I am very, very strict on what I let her eat/drink though.
    Anonymous

• My dd is 1 1/2. We do no more than 6 ounces of real (not artificial) juice mixed with water to fill the cup, water and milk throughout the day. The only time she gets anything other than that is when she is with a sitter (once every two weeks).
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Pudgy-is a far cry from obese, and at 8 she could have a grow spurt at 12-13 like I did,and all of a sudden had a shape,boobs,hips.I was chuby as a kid. Obese is well over 100 pounds at her age,which they say soda adds to it as juice. I don't know, as a kid, I had soda,juice, and when I hit pubity everthing changed, and never was fat/obese. If your daughter was obese,and never had soda/.juice then something is going on. I think these kids today don't run around a much like we did. No excise
    Anonymous

• She is over 100. But she is also tall. Most woman in my family grow to 6ft. So on her it shows as a small belly. The doctor did want to check her thyroid. I refused. Personally I don't see anything wrong with her and I'm not going to subject her to a bunch of tests.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• She's only 8. I think every girl goes through that chubby stage. She'll get taller and grow out of it. Just make sure she has a healthy diet and keep up with what youre already doing, limiting soda and of course, is active.
    K-e-r-i

Answer by K-e-r-i at 8:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• My kids are 9, 8, 7 and 4 and at home they drink water. We rarely have juice in the house and when we do they can have 1 6oz cup (or 1 juice box depending on what we have) per day. The older 3 kids get a carton of milk with their lunch otherwise they don't drink milk (I'd be going through a gallon or more a day because they love milk).
    The only time they drink pop is when we go out to eat and half the time they choose juice or milk. And those options are only available if they have been behaving. If they are acting up they get water.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• My son (19 months) drinks water with a little bit of apple juice or grape juice to flavor it - but just a small amount. When we are with my nephew or with friends he likes to steel their juice boxes and slurp them up as fast as he can. We don't give it to him at home or on a regular basis so I don't freak out when he gets a hold of it when we're not home. He won't drink milk or plain water - he spits it right out. He gets all of his dairy from cheese and yogurt.

At 8 years old your daughter has a bunch of growing to do. I've known lots and lots of kids who were pudgy at this age only to have a growth spurt and become lean, athletic, healthy teens and adults. You sound like you are taking care of her nutritional needs so I wouldn't be worried. Let people think what they want and use is as a chance to teach your daughter that the judgments of others mean nothing and their assumptions are often WRONG.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• well mine drink water a little, but mostly drink wantered down juice. i doi maybe 40% juice with the 5 yr old and 25% with the 2 yr old. also i buy the minute maid fruit falls water beverage for them it has like 2 grams of sugar. and they virtually NEVER get soda
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• my son is 3 and he loves milk and water and juice when i give him juice i water it down
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 3:23 AM on Mar. 14, 2010